Chapter 10

(unedited version)

Chapter 10:

"Charlotte?"

She pulled off her hood confirming my guess," I thought you were dead! So does Sapphire!" she exclaimed then hugged me tightly.

"What are you doing out here?" I asked as I released her.

"Looking for Fred...." she replied a bit sheepishly.

"Fred?"

"My monkey," she laughed. Just as she said that, I got tackled by a ball of fluff, I ended up on the ground with a small monkey sitting on my chest staring at me.

"Fred that's Silver, Silver that's Fred, my obnoxious monkey.... I think he likes you."

I stared back at the little monkey and laughed," hey there Fred."

Charlotte picked up the small monkey and let him sit on her shoulder, "what are you doing out here? We were so worried when we found you missing..."

"Flint decided it would be better if I was secure where he knew where I was, or some nonsense like that... and not an hour ago two men took me from there and tried to get me onto some ship but I got away," I explained, suddenly to shiver. I realized I only had a thin cotton dress which was still damp from diving into the water in my escape.

"Then they are still after you?"Charlotte queried, looking worried.

I nodded, she grabbed my hand," let's go," she said quietly before guiding me through the trees for what seemed like ages.

We finally reached the edge of town, Charlotte led me through several alleys and backways before reaching the back door of Sapphire's pub. She snuck in with me then dragged me up the stairs to Sapphire's room," stay here with Fred," she instructed me before leaving again. Fred sat on my lap almost like a cat, I smiled slightly.

Sapphire burst in," oh Silver! I was so worried!" she exclaimed quietly, hugging me with an iron grip.

"I can't stay for long.... They'll be looking for me..." I said apologetically.

Charlotte rummaged through a trunk and pulled out a pair of black breeches, tall boots, a light coloured shirt, and a cloak. She handed them to me," get changed, we'll have to do something about your hair as well."

I slipped behind the changing screen and stripped off the thin cotton dress before changing into the clothing Charlotte had handed me.

"I will take you to Sam, he'll help you, your name will stay as Silver but as a precaution I'll make sure it's known that you don't talk much but can cook a mean meal single-handedly. Is that alright with you?" Charlotte asked.

I finished dressing and stepped out," yes that sounds fine," I replied.

Charlotte played with my hair a bit, trying to find the best way to hide it without cutting it. "Do you mind if I thin your hair out a bit?" she asked.

"Considering it could be the difference between being caught as a girl and succeeding, hack as much as you want," I replied, playing with one of my curly tresses. Charlotte found a pair of scissors and cut for what seemed like forever," I've never seen a gal with such thick hair before," she mused as she finished.

"I blame my father's side of the family for that," I replied amused. I looked at myself in the mirror, Charlotte had only cut it to just below shoulder length but it definitely was much thinner and felt more light than it had been. "What do you think?"she asked.

I ran my fingers through my hair, "looks great."

She smiled and then braided my hair tightly before tying a black scarf around my head, hiding my hair from view. Sapphire handed me a sword. "Do you know how to use it?"Charlotte asked.