Chapter 19

Chapter 19: Sacrifices

I stole a glance towards Jacob, trembling ever so slightly, either way, me and our unborn child would die eventually.... as much as I hated giving into Flint's schemes I had to sacrifice my pride....

"What will you do with me after all the fun and games lose your interest Flint? What then?" I asked, trying not to let my voice give away my anxiety.

"Well then darling, I'll hand ya off to my crew and by the time they're done with ya.... well ye'd be most likely dead by then," Flint replied, I could hear the amusement in his voice.

"And if I don't cooperate?"

"Ye will be flogged just as much as yer dear husband, then I'll have my fun with ya and probably kill ya after if yer not already dead," at that he laughed, sending chills down my spine.

"Is there anyway ye'll consider letting me live?" I asked, getting desperate and knowing he knew it as well.

"We'll see how ya behave watching the punishment be dealt," he laughed again, shoving me out of the cabin, into the arms of the brute I had kicked. I was half carried, half dragged, up to deck.

My eyes widened when I saw the scene before my eyes, the whole crew, including Hawk, Sam, Charlotte, and Sapphire, were tied to the mast, the deck a mass of bloody mess. I looked gazes with my brother and saw pits of hopelessness, it broke my heart.

I was bound, hands and feet, near the bow, facing the foremast. My mind spun with desperate hopes of escaping. A loud grunt of pain brought my attention to Jacob, who was being dragged roughly by Flint. He then was positioned between two large men who held his arms outstretched, facing me. I choked back a sob, I couldn't let Jacob feel more pain by seeing me cry.

"Here is Jacob Long! A traitor of the pirate code signed under Captain Augustus Flint! The punishment: sixteen lashes of the cat o'nine tail whip!" an unknown crew member announced loudly. The punishment barely started to sink in before I saw Flint unravel a viscous looking whip with multiple ends.

Before I could think about it fully, I yelled," I object to the sentencing!"

All eyes turned towards me, Flint walked towards me, "and what knowledge have you of sentencing Deary?"

"None, but if he violated a condition under your code it should be clarified as to which one and how," I replied coolly, keeping my eyes glued to his.

"Stealing property of the captain, meaning myself darling," he replied.

"Then let me see the document," I demanded.

"You are not part of my crew love, but that can be changed if you wish?"

" Considering it, let me see the document first, "I replied, I dared not look at Jacob, but I could feel his gaze on me.

"Anna.... don't," he whispered, I still couldn't bring myself to look at him.

Flint nodded to a crewmember, who handed it to Flint, he opened it and held it for me to see. My eyes scanned the paper desperately for a loophole for Jacob, my eyes rested on one rule that caught my attention to my surprise. It read:

if a member of the crew violates the rules above but has reasonable cause to be excused, such as having a child under their care, they may be excused from service if another takes his or her place.

"I claim the right of excusion for my husband," I suddenly stated, watching Flint's eyes narrow slightly, turning the document towards him.

"He has no reasonable cause dear," he chuckled.

"Yes, he does, I am pregnant with his child, that should be cause enough," I replied boldly.

Flint seemed to be studying my face for signs of deceit, "and who, pray tell do you propose shall compensate for him? Certainly not you, especially with a babe on the way." I looked down, I had not thought that far. "Since I'm in a slight good mood today, here is what I propose: since I hate leaving children fatherless if I can help it, if your husband survives the flogging, I will free him, you, and yer crew."

"And if he doesn't?"I asked, a lump in my throat.

"Then you and your babe will belong to me," he replied, an evil glint in his abyss-like eyes.

I looked at Jacob, he had a look of determination on his face but his eyes told me it was nearly hopeless. Refusing to let go of the thin thread of hope still in my grasp. I looked back up at Flint, " let me take half of the punishment."

"Are ya sure about that?" Flint asked, staring straight into my eyes.

"Yes," I replied

"Ye would take half of his punishment in the name of love for him?"

"Yes, in a heartbeat," I replied firmly.

Flint smirked, he nodded to the men holding Jacob, who let him go, he picked himself up quickly.

" Embrace yer wife, Jacob, Ye found a gem in that lass that's for sure."

Jacob didn't even hesitate as he rushed to my side, wrapping me in his arms gently, kissing my lips lightly. We sat like that for a while before Flint had us seperated again. I swallowed hard as the two men who had previously been holding Jacob, untied my hands and dragged me up onto my knees, facing Jacob.

I will not cry.....

--------------------------

Jacob's POV:

They held her tightly, she stared right at me, deep love in her eyes as Flint tore the back of her nightgown to revealing her bare skin underneath. I watched in horror as Flint unraveled his whip, helpless to stop my darling Anna from feeling the pain she should never have had to face.

My eyes stayed glued to hers as the whip made contact with her back, leaving several bloody trails on her back. I saw the pain flash through her eyes, only a gasp escaped her lips, she only had a few seconds to steel herself for the next strike. The whip sliced through her back once again, a pain I knew would make a grown man scream out in agony, but not a sound escaped her lips.

I felt her pain.

--------------------------------

Anna's POV:

The pain started to catch up to me by the fifth strike, fire seemed to be searing my back as my vision clouded readily. I kept my eyes glued to Jacob's, I knew that his seeing me suffer would hurt him but I could not hold out on the scream that was building in my throat. Sharp, shooting pain sliced through my back for the sixth time, a strangled scream filled my ears only to figure out a few moments later it was me.

I fought to stay strong as my back was sliced once again. Jacob looked at me with encouragement in his eyes, silently telling me I could get through this. Tears were streaming freely down my face as the last blow was dealt.

Blackness engulfed me as the men holding me, let go. Before I fell completely unconscious, I heard shouts of anger and swords clashing

A shooting pain surging through my back awoke me, I opened my eyes to see Jacob laying beside me. A worried but relieved look was on his face as he watched me.

"How are ya feeling love?"

"Like I'm being cut up...." I replied, " what happened?"

"Ya managed to stay conscious through flogging, the crew managed to get free and while ya were unconscious they managed to drive Flint and his crew off our ship. I carried you to bed...."

I digested that information," did Flint give his word to stay away from us?" I whispered.

Jacob nodded," yes, we have the agreement in writing," he replied, squeezing my hand gently.

"We can finally stop lookin' over our shoulders, our child will be safe," he whispered, kissing my cheek lightly.

I smiled at him, momentarily forgetting my pain, our lips met, our kiss was one of pure relief and the feeling of security. I laid my head on his chest, listening to his heart as it lulled me back to sleep.