Chapter 5:A Change Begins

Boom!

I heard the gun fire, and waited for the pain to take me, but it never came. I opened my eyes to see Stick laying on the ground, a bullet wound in his head," No!!!" I cried out.

Tears falling steadily from my eyes blinding me, I broke away from whoever had been restraining me and knelt beside him. I barely heard the argument break out, I felt numb as I cradled Stick's lifeless body. I had only known the man for a few hours but our friendship had blossomed....now he's dead.

He had saved my life!

Someone grabbed me up roughly, I barely registered that I even was moving as I was dragged from the room then down to the brig where the rest of the crew was, then shoved into an empty cell and locked in.

One question nagged at me during the long night that followed:

WHY?!?

-The next morning-

"Psst! Miss Anna! Wake up!"

Opening my eyes I saw saw a man looking through the other side of the cell along with a few other men. I sat up slowly,"what is it?"

"We were just makin' sure ya didn't die on us, we've come up with a plan to retake the ship, but we need yer help," he replied.

I wonder what they could possibly want me to do...

"What is it you want me to do?"I asked as I moved closer to the bars.

"You an' Jacob grew close over the pastfew weeks, am I right?"

I nodded, "But I had no idea he was planning this..."

"I know, child, I know, none of us did.... now listen to me carefully, if he comes and offers to protect ya again, accept it willingly, make him think ya realized ya made a big mistake in refusing him."

I chewed nervously on my lip," but what if he finds out I'm only pretending?"

"Yer a smart girl, Anna, you'll figure it out."

Thats reassuring....

"What do I do once I get his trust?"

" Wait a day or two then find out where he keeps the keys to the cells and free us, we'll take care of the rest."

I nodded slowly then froze when I heard heavy footsteps on the stairs.

I didn't recognize the man who came down the steps and cringed slightly as he stopped in front of my cell.

"The Cap'n is wantin' ta see ya, get up!" he growled at me.

I hastily got up, only now noticing the bloodstain down my skirt. The man grabbed my arm roughly and bound my wrists together tightly before shoving me up the stairs. As I reached the top, I noticed a few of the mutineers eying me less than appropriately. I glared at them before being pushed again to the late Captain Andrews' cabin.

I looked around noting it had been cleaned up, there was almost no evidence of what happened the night before except for the fact that HE was sitting at the desk instead of Captain Andrews.

"You can leave now Thomson."

I listened to his footsteps fade and the door close behind me. My eyes were glued to his, I searched for any emotion at all but found nothing.

He finally broke the silence," I had you brought here so I could repeat my offer, let me protect you Anna."

I tensed,"what you ask of me is like to ask me to trust you again, I don't think it's humanly possible for me to do so. You betrayed us all Jacob! Your father, Captain Andrews, Stick, the rest of the crew, not to mention me! You- you sicken me!"