Chapter 17: A Safe Place

WITHOUT WARNING CHAPTER 17
A SAFE PLACE

Pissed was an understatement.

Angry was far from a home-run.

Seething with loathing was rather close, but not quite there yet.

He was frustrated with himself. It was an insistent ache he felt in his chest.

When Karin described the features of the man who took Hinata, he couldn't put a name or a face on said person. Instead, his mind zeroed in on the one word he needed: "inu" or dog.

But Sasuke couldn't understand why he would be feeling this way. He was not a dog, nor was he a wolf so the issue of marking territories was out of the question. It couldn't possibly be love, as he argued with himself if such emotion was even possible for him at this point after all he had done to mark his humanity as ultimately tainted with blood. It had only been a short time since he was forced into the situation of being fixed for Hinata for the purpose of reviving the Uchiha clan, there was no logical way he could be in love. There was no logic to his emotions and he hated it.

It could be his natural possessiveness. He knew that in himself. He had been possessive as a child with minor things such as his brother's attention and time, the toys he was given, as well as his mother's praise and watchfulness. He felt it twist into a darker, more sinister version of the once innocent and silent demand for familial love and attention. It became general possession over everything he considered to belong, or should belong, to him. 

In this case, Hyuuga Hinata. 

He shook his head suddenly and paused on one of the roofs he landed on. "Tch!" He grit his teeth in frustration. No, the Hyuuga hime is just his best option to restore his clan. Nothing more. There was too much at stake to involve his sworn duty to his clan with a fleeting emotion that was unbecoming of the Uchiha name.

It was a great idea though to have a Hyuuga be the carrier of the Uchiha bloodline considering the similarity in formidable doujutsu. The possibilities could indeed be endless with such an arrangement. This was a plan he would be thankful to Tsunade for but not that he would ever tell her.

That's what it all boils down to -- a feeling of possession because of his goal to revive the Uchiha clan from the ashes, and restore them to their former glory and more. It was his priority after all, second to killing his brother which he had already done. Now that his brother was gone by his hands, and he has managed to free himself from the anger that gripped him of that once tightly-held grudge, he felt in his bones the desire for self-preservation. And alongside it was to allow the Sharingan to stay in existence. 

It will not end with him. Not on his watch.

Still. This feeling. Sasuke thought as his hand slipped into his yukata and settled on the skin over his heart. Why does it feel this way?

He ran once more, trying to track the trail left by Hinata whom he had become a little familiar with over time. Since she began living very near him, he had the chance to study her -- one of which was committing to memory some traits that seemed uniquely hers such as her scent. He convinced himself that his actions were a part of having her as the Uchiha carrier-to-be.

Her trail led Sasuke to the outskirts of Konoha's newly formed walls. He stood on the topmost portion, activating his Sharingan as he searched the thick forest for her trail. By the looks of it, her trail had been swept away by the wind that steadily twisted and made its way through the trees. Her scent too had been carried away. He cursed softly.

"Where the fuck did that mutt take her?" He snarled under his breath. 

There was a slight brightness in the distance, buried in the sea of trees. Sasuke's eyes narrowed and his senses zeroed in on the area and he felt it, just a trace but it was certainly there, Hinata's aura spiked for a moment. He smirked though in his head he was preparing to scold Hinata for being easy to find because of how easily her emotions affected the flow of her chakra.