Chapter 11: Assessments

WITHOUT WARNING
CHAPTER 11
ASSESSMENTS

The three Hyuugas returned straight to the Hyuuga mansion, with the Head already planning when he will send word for Kozuya to proceed with the conference he had requested with the main family and the Council. Silence and tension hung heavily as they went their way, but Hiashi remained unfazed and simply focused on the relevant matters at hand. Typically, he would not allow the Hokage to tamper into the affairs of the Hyuuga family, but after the Great War he understood the need for preparation and contingencies since the world will not be entirely a safe place, and the family will be unable to defend itself when threats like Kaguya or a risen Madara would appear yet again.

In Hanabi's mind, she had been trying to think of any means to cheer up her elder sister, but nothing would come to mind. Hinata had been so determined, and she had persevered amidst all the difficulties just to prove that she was worthy of claiming her birth right to be the next Head of the Hyuuga. She had in fact earned the approval of most of the elders and even that of their father especially after the Great War, and all of a sudden, her hard work is in danger of being discarded. Hanabi could not possibly claim to understand how her sister felt. She would not even be able to say the right things, she thought to herself. Thus she resolved to just falling a step behind their father to walk alongside Hinata who hadn't even noticed Hanabi as she was deep in her thoughts. She was pulled out of her reverie when a small, callused hand suddenly held hers. Hinata then looked to see Hanabi giving her a small smile.

Hinata managed an equally small smile that reached her eyes. Her sister had come a long way from being the little firecracker who had been ashamed of her weak elder sister. Now Hanabi had become one of the sources of strength Hinata drew from. They had formed a much closer bond since Neji's passing.

"Neji," Hinata murmured to herself then as they continued to walk. What would you do if you were in my position? Would you put your heart first or the safety of Konoha and the world?

--------------------------------------------------

Naruto could not find it in himself to raise his hand and knock on the door. He was told that on the other side of it he would find Ibiki speaking (and only speaking to, no torturing) Karin.

Uzumaki Karin. He swallowed at the thought.

He didn't have to knock then as the door suddenly swung open to reveal none other than Karin herself in her usual lilac attire and black shorts. Her face held an irritated expression. "How long were you planning on standing out here for?" She suddenly asked and Naruto let out a sheepish laugh. Karin grabbed Naruto by the collar and dragged him into the room. Naruto saw Ibiki sitting on the left side of a square table in the middle of the room, and a vacant chair opposite of Ibiki's place.

"You should have known she would sense your presence, Naruto. It is something also second nature to the Uzumaki bloodline."

That brought Naruto back to the matter at hand. When Karin reached the chair, she flung Naruto on it and stood with her arms at her hips. "Care to tell me why you and Sasuke brought me all the way here? I've only gotten so much out of ol' bandana here and truth is, I'm getting tired of waiting."

Naruto looked to Ibiki. Ibiki understood the question, and answered, "Hokage-sama was supposed to come here to explain to Karin what was going on. But I hear there was another matter that suddenly arrived at her doorstep which required her attention."

Naruto nodded. It was that old man who barged in with scrolls from the Raikage. There seems to be so much going on, and we've only recently begun recovering from the Great War.

Karin spoke up. "So what's this whole Uzumaki business then? The only thing I'm understanding is people thinking I'm part of that clan."

Naruto stood up and offered the seat to Karin, explaining that she might need it more after what he will tell her. She seemed surprised by the gesture but took the seat nonetheless. "Look Karin, I'm just as surprised as you are. I once thought my entire clan was wiped out, but Hokage-sama told us just now that it is really possible that you're an Uzumaki. I'm not sure exactly what they have planned to confirm this, but they wouldn't send Sasuke and I to bring you to Konoha without being somewhat sure that their guess is correct."