To Reverse Time: (Chapter 1: The Manor) part 2

When Aaron asked where I was staying, my face turned red and I started stuttering. I didn't want to say I didn't have any place to go, but I didn't want to lie either. Somehow, I think he figured out I wasn't from around here becasue he insisted I stay with his cousin, Arabella Denison-it would have been seen as inappropriate for him to invite me to his home because he lived alone-people would assume we were going to do naughty things. (FYI, this is my interpretation of the rules of Victorian time, so, I'm know they are probably incorrect.)

His cousin's estate was a large manor out in the country, about 6 hours from town.

I was still in shock he would do all this for a complete stranger.

Life had made me naturally suspicious, it made it difficult to gain my complete trust, and maintain it. But, I really wanted to believe he wasn't like that.

We hadn't even come to a complete stop when a petite brunette woman came racing outside to greet us.

"Aaron! What a pleasant surprise! What brings you here, dear cousin?"

"Well, Ella,-" Her eyes widen as she saw me for the first time.

"Oh, I am so sorry, I didn't see you there." She said exuberantly. This girl has alot of energy.

Aaron cleared his throat. "As I was saying, Arabella," he said, giving her a very pointed look. "This is Miss Lauren Benjamin. She was attacked earlier by a man of lascivious intentions."

I tried to suppress the laughter that was building in my throat. Lascivious intentions? And the look on his face when he said it, he was so serious, dead serious.

Arabella looked at me sympathetically. "You poor thing."

"She needs a place to stay, I would offer my home but-"

She held up her hand.

"Say no more, dear cousin, she must stay here with me. Now, I won't hear any argument about it." She said in a mock authoritative voice.

I smiled as she served us both tea in her drawing room. "Thank you so much for letting me stay here. It's very kind of you."

She swatted her hand in front of her face. "Think nothing of it, it's our duty as charitable human beings of God, am I wrong, Aaron?"

"Pardon? Oh! Of course, cousin." He glanced at both of us sheepishly.