Chapter 4: The Storm

My feet were numb by the time we returned from the party, I ended up enjoying it more than I'd admit outloud.

The next day, rain poured down the entire day, so like little children, we had to stay inside and find ways to entertain ourselves.  

 Arabella seemed surprised, but very pleased, that I knew how to play chess. I regreted telling her soon after, she was a master at the darn game.

"Oh, don't be upset, Lauren, it's just a game." Arabella said with a chuckled.

I puffed up my cheeks playfully. "You would feel that way if you were the one losing 7 games in a row."

 "Perhaps," She looked amused. "By the way, you seemed to be awfully taken with Mr. Horne last night, or were my eyes deceiving me?"

I could feel my face getting redder by the second.  "Y-yes, I mean, no!" I exclaimed.

"He seems like a very nice man, though." I admitted.

"Just nice, Lauri? With the way he was looking at you, it wouldn't surprise me if he payed a visit here soon." She teased.

Based on my limited knowledge of the Victorian Era, I assumed 'paying a visit' insinuated the gentleman caller was interested in pursuing a romantic relationship with a female at the residence. I really hoped I was wrong though.

"What do you mean?" I asked, dreading the answer.

"Surely you know. Why, I bet he''ll come calling tomorrow afternoon for tea."

"That's quite specific, why do you think that?"

She smiled at me. "Because I already invited him."

My eyes widened. "Ella!"

She giggled putting her gloved hand over her face.

With the look of horror still glued to my face Arabella added. "Don't worry, it's just tea, I didn't even mention whether or not you would be able to attend."

Thunder rumbled in the background making us both jolt alertly. Out the window of the study, I say the rain coming down even harder. After admitting defeat in chess, Arabella tried in vain to teach me how to cross-stitch a flower onto a pillowcase. Needless to say, it didn't go very well. There were more blood spots than actual stitch work, when I realized this I decided to quit for the sake of my poor needle-poked fingers.