Chapter 8:The Taste Like Crow isn't so Sweet

Much to Alexander's immense satisfaction, I accepted his terms. Almost immediately I regretted my decision, he had such a smug look on his face I would have loved nothing better than to bitch-slap him til he saw tweety birds around his head.

That would teach him. I said to myself, relishing the mere thought of the shocked he would feel that a woman had smacked him. Hehe...

An invitation arrived three days later. It was some kind of soiree that was hosted by a man named Bertram Crow, whom I'd never heard of, and neither had Arabella. 

I wasn't surprised when I saw the different handwriting at the bottom. Nor did I have to guess who it belonged to.

"Meet me under the arch of the Crow Estate at 7 o'clock. Please be certain wear a peach rose in your hair.  Don't be late, Miss Benjamin, or else...

                                                                                                       Yours Truly,  A. Horne"

********************

"Take care, Lauri." Arabella called out as the carriage started to move. I had told her I was attending the party with Alexander, but I made it sound like I was interested in him. I hated lying to her, but I didn't want her involved in any of this.

 I was far to nervous to notice anything about the ride to Crow Estate. I probably adjusted that stupid rose a dozen times. 

I hated that I had to do this, like I'm some kind of obedient lap-dog, it was sickening. My arms were crossed to try and keep myself warm while I waited for Alexander in the archway. He was late.

My jaw quivered as I fumed. 'Why should I wait out in the cold for that idiot, if he really couldn't do this without me, he would just have to find me inside. I am not going to freeze to death because of him.'

"Lauren." A voice called, but I ignored it. Whoever it was could just talk to me inside like Alexander.

When I opened the door, I was meet a warm air scented with spiced apples.

"Welcome." A maid said before leading me to a group of people chattering away.

I noticed a particular man within the group that stood out. He was laughing at what the older man was saying. But what stood out about this man was the strange clothing he wore. His pants were a dark blue, denim blue, in-fact. And he was wearing a what appeared to be a wife beater with a khaki vest. 'Was this man eccentric or was he ahead of his time?'

Surely he wasn't Bertram Crow, the man Alexander was looking to 'get' something from. Whether it was information or an object, I wasn't sure, but I knew it must be valuable whatever it was.

It was around this time that his eyes fell on me, however, he then bacame more intersted in what was behind me.

"Ah, Mr. Horne so good of you to come! Welcome!" The blue jean man bellowed.

My head whipped around, yep, he was right, Mr. arrogant was here.

"So sorry I'm late, I was accosted by my business advisor."  The group of men laughed, I didn't get the joke, but oh well.

"Who is this lovely creature, is she with you?" Blue Jean asked.

Alex looked at me with adoration, his arm slithering around my waist. "Yes,  this is Miss Lauren Benjamin and I am her escort for the evening."

I blushed as I extended my hand to the man, prepared to shake his hand, but quickly realized women didn't do that.

"The name is Bertram Crow, it's a pleasure, Miss Benjamin."

I nodded.