Chapter 8: The Taste of Crow isn't So Sweet (part 2 of 3)

Most of the people there were men and apparently they had no interest in talking to me for some reason.

So I ended up just sitting there helping myself to my 5th helping of potato salad onto my plate it wasn't even that good either, it had a sour after flavor..

My eyes would lazily find Alexander's every once in a great while and he would be talking to the same man, Bertram Crow.

Maybe Crow was his target? I mused. I had been so nervous about this job Alexander wanted me to do, but now, I was ready to just get it over and done with so we could leave.

"Poor Bertram." I heard someone whisper. My ears perked up, what was so poor about Bertram? He looked well-off and he seemed in good health.

I moved closer to the crowd without looking at the two middle-age men that were talking about Crow.

"Yes,I hope it's just a matter of time before he abandons that stupid idea." The man with the pocket-watch said.

The other man, with the onyx ring nodded. "It's a shame really, if he would spend more time researching other things besides time travel and the great beyond, his reputation would be sealed. Think about it, with a mind as brilliant as his,  if he discovered a cure for any disease, his reputation would be set, but no, Bertram would rather spend his energy of something impossible."

The thump of my heart was beating in my ears.

Time travel, the words echoes through my head.

I couldn't believe it, what if Bertram wasn't a crackpot and really knew what he was doing, he might be able to get me home!

Wait a minute.

What it was his tinkering that got me here in the first place. I had seen something similar happen on the TV show Angel, when they went to Pylea to rescue Winnifred Burkle, she had been creating portal without knowing it and Cordelia got sucked in be accident.

But Cordelia remember how she got there, I couldn't remember how I'd got here, it's just blank. I remember the day before, I spilt Mountain Dew down Rachel Varley's new blouse in the cafeteria at school, making her retaliate by pelting me with mash potatoes. Then I got a "B" in English class for my report, went home and then...nothing. It's like my memories are pages in a book and someone tore out who saved the princess from the dragon.        

While I was straining to hear the men's conversation, a figure crept up from behind me, poised for attack.

I jolted when I felt someone blow on my ear. "Wh-What are you doing?" I asked blushing angrily.

Alexander grinned. "We're here to do a job, remember?" He grabbed my hand and tugged me along the corridors of the massive house.

"Where are we going?' Alex said nothing, he seemed determined to get me someplace.

"Hello?" Still he ignored me.

We abruptly stopped, making me run face-first into his back. He looked down at me somewhat irritated.

I realized he let go of my hand finally.

"We're here." That was all said before pushing me inside the doorway.