Chapter 7: Change of Plans

Arabella had been correct, Elyn Horne did sing like an angel, much better that my singing.

A few kind souls told me I had a 'sweet' voice. Hah!

"Brother!" Elyn exclaimed. She ran up and hugged him and began talking to him a mile a  minute. Alexander nodded occasionally and muttered back to her.

I didn't realize I was staring until Alexander made eye contact with me from across the room, I'm sure I was blushing. Before I turned away, I  thought I saw him grin at me.

Mrs. Louisa Germaine, the host of the party, was telling me about her homemade vegetable soup she got from her grandmother, when Elyn tugged on my hand.

"Excuse me, Mrs. Germaine, could we continue this discussion later?"

She nodded. "Oh course, dear."

Elyn motion me to lean down. "My brother wanted me to ask you to meet him in the library, it's the third door on the left." She whispered.

"Why?"

She giggled. "He seems quite fond of you, Miss Benjamin, I would imagine he is going to tell you of his intentions."

Oh, great. Just freakin' great!

Well, lets get this over with. I sighed.

There was a fire lit in the fireplace when I arrived in the library. I noticed a silhouette in sitting in one of the two green wing back chairs facing the fireplace.

Alexander poked his head from around the chair at the sound of the door creak open. "Ah, Miss Benjamin, please take a seat."

It seemed strange, him inviting me in here, alone, asking me to sit down even though this isn't his home.

Something wasn't right here.

He patted the seat of the other chair. "Have a seat, Miss Benjamin." He sounded a bit more insistent this time.

Fine, I'll play you game, for now.

(FYI, if I'm not mistaken, I think the guy is suppose to ask express in a letter his intentions, but I decided Alexander would probably lie to Elyn about his real reasons for wanting to see Lauren, ALONE,  so Elyn wouldn't get involved and thing her brother was a bad guy.)