Chapter 9-The Next Step

I felt guilty thinking about Arabella. She had been a good friend to me, but I had responsibilities waiting for me at home, people who cared about me, I had to go back.

I just had to.

"We'll be leaving in 7 days time," Alexander announced. "I suggest you prepare yourself Miss Benjamin."

Prepare for what? He acts like we're going to war.

"What kind of preparations?"

"Just tying up loose ends, make up some excuse why your leaving, mostly it'll just be Arabella, correct?"

I just nodded, silently. A lump formed in my throat.

Aaron stood up abruptly and walked toward me, he bent down to my sitting form. "Must you truly leave?" His eyes begging me.

I nodded.

He signed."Very well." And he walked out of the room, leaving me confused. Was this really about abandoning Arabella, or was there something more he wasn't telling me.

Bertram was speaking with Alexander in a hushed voice, looking at me every so often. And I just sat there like an idiot, waiting for the rudeness of excluding me form there conversation to dissipate.

"It's decided." Bertram said. "You will be staying with me for the next few days until you leave."

********************************

 It didn't even take a whole day to figure out who Bertram reminded me of, Mr. Weasley, yes, the Harry Potter character who loved all things Muggle. Or in Bertram's case, the 21st Century.

Alexander and Aaron left soon after telling me when we were leaving. In the mean time, I became Bertram's primary source of amusement. He wanted to know everything about my life, the customs, the politics, the social dynamics... and I was beginning to hate him for it. He was worse than Mr. Weasley, much worse.

I claimed to have a headache and went to bed early.