Chapter 7: Change of Plans (part 2)

Alexander folded his hands in his lap.

"I suppose you are wondering why I ask you in here, correct?"

I nodded.

"Well, you seem to have caused quite a stir around here, and it made me curious. Who was this young woman and where did she come from? But, strangely enough, no one seemed to know." He looked at me for a moment. When I didn't say anything, he continued. " So, now I've come up with a theory about you. The mysterious Miss Benjamin." He mused, leaning closer to my chair.

I tried to keep me hand from shaking. There's no way he could have figured it out! It isn't possible!

But his eyes told me he knew something I wish he didn't, he had dirt on me, or he thought he did.

"You see, Miss Benjamin, I would be willing to wager if I looked for a birth record for a Miss Lauren Alicia Benjamin, I wouldn't find anyone by that name existing. Which  means either Lauren Benjamin is an alias or you don't exist yet."

My eyes widened at the word yet. I was beginning to panic.

Alexander smiled wryly. "I'm right, am I not?"

"W-well, you know..."

"Yes, Miss Benjamin." He asked innocently.

I sighed. "What do you want, Mr. Horne?"

He chuckled. "Just your cooperation."

"With what?" I asked sharply.

"Well, I'd like you to accompany me to a certain event." Alexander said devilishly.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "And what would I be expected to do at the event?"

Alexander pulled a piece of paper out of his pocket and handed it to me. "You would be required to stay by my side the entire evening and convince everyone we were an item." My mouth opened to protest but he silenced me with a hand gesture. "It's just for show, so no one will suspect what I'm really up to. It really shouldn't be that difficult, we go in mingle a bit, I get what I need and we leave."

I still wasn't convinced. "That's it?" I asked dubiously.

He nodded. "You have til the end of tonight to make your decision, otherwise, I'll assume you decline my generous offer, and I will see to it that you are placed in a nice padded room in the asylum." With that said he left me to think about my choice.

He truly was evil. And I felt like a fool for thinking he was a decent guy, why couldn't I see through him before? This was terrible! And this 'job' he was asking me to do was probably very dangerous, and he would probably let me take the fall for it if it came down to it. This just sucked. All I wanted was to just go with the flow until I could go back home, to 2006.

I just wanna go home. I don't want to be the Bonnie to his Clyde.