Chapter 16

Halloween Night

Jason sat down at the table.

It was the end of the month and just like he had said, they weren't friends. Jason tried to avoid any contact with Freddy or Michael, but sometimes they would be forced to sit at the same table or be in a group for science.

It was hard for Jason to even think that he was once friends with those annoying brats that would only bring trouble into Jason's life. It was even harder to think that he was friends with them only a few weeks ago. And actually for Jason life has gotten better, not a lot of teasing and more peace.

Although there was always the bad side of it...

Jason had always had those days where he would trudge in the wind or in the rain and think about the days when they were all friends. He would walk along the river and think about the days they would laugh at jokes.

There were always those times when he would just think about the wonderful times he had with Michael and Freddy.

He tried to take his mind off of his old friends after he heard the doorbell ring. He walked up to the door with a bowl of candy and greeted the little kids dressed as pirates and robbers. 

"Trick or treat!" The little kids chorused with giant smiles and big pillow cases full of sweet candy. Jason smiled at the kids and held out a bowl of Snickers and Sweet Tarts. The kids grabbed two or more of the candy and then left with 'thank you's'. 

Jason walked to the table and sat down where he was sitting. 

His mother was putting on her Frankenstein-bride costume up stairs and he was in charge for the person who would give candy to little kids. 

He set the bowl of candy on the table and started to admire his costume. He was a hockey player for Halloween. The mask was a cheap plastic one that had red marks on it just like in his drawing. He was thankful for his mother getting that for him, usually he would go as a ghost and cut wholes for eyes in a sheet. Mrs. Voorhees knew though, that he was still pretty sad and mad at the fight with his friends that he had hung out with almost everyday, and she thought that to repay it she could give him a new costume.

Jason heard another ring of the doorbell and jumped to his feet, grabbing the bowl of sweets. He walked ot the door again and opened it.

He saw a person dressed as a clown and felt sadness grip his throat. 

Michael would always dress as a clown. Every year it was the same, he wore a mask that had a red nose, and a clown suit that had a red poofy ruffles going around the wrists and neck. 

Jason hesitated for a second until he held the bowl of candy over. Her heard the boy behind the clown mask say, "Thank you," and Jason closed the door furiously.

He turned around and say his mother with her hair black and white and wearing a pale purple silk dress. "How do I look?" Her mother asked as she flashed a pose with one hand on her hip and the other in the air. Jason smiled underneath the hockey mask and nodded.

He didn't talk so much ever since the fight between Freddy and Michael. He would talk less and less each day, and right now he would probably mutter only a few sentences a day. His mother was very concerned about him decrease of words, but would not bring it up to Jason.

"Good!" She said with a smile as she walked towards Jason. She then frowned and wrapped an arm around him.

"Why aren't you out trick or treating?" She asked Jason. Jason sighed a little before responding, "It reminds me... of... you know..."