Chapter Twenty-three

"Luke! Kiara! We need to get going!" Amber called, hurrying through the house. 

     She headed up the stairs, stopping by her and Luke's room before moving on to Kiara's. As she poked her head in, she smiled. Luke carefully braided the child's hair, telling her she was going to love her first day at school. 

     "There you go, princess." he stated as he finished tying the end.

     "Thank you, daddy." she smiled, turning and hugging him.

     "Kiara," Amber said softly, getting her daughter and husband's attention. "Are you ready?"

     Kiara launched off her bed as Luke stood. She grabbed her Dora the Explore bag, slipping it onto one shoulder before walking past her parents towards the stairs.

     "I really hope she does okay." Amber sighed as they followed after their little girl.

     "She will. Besides, she's just like her mother." Luke responded.

     Amber nodded, stopping as Luke pulled her back to him. He kissed her head gently before releasing her.

     "Come on. Don't want her to be late."

     Amber smiled as Kiara bounded towards them in excitement, leading the way out the door.

----

     "Mama!" Kiara called, racing towards her with a familiar boy in tow.

     "Aunt Amber!" Karsyn exclaimed, hugging her as he and Kiara reached the woman.

     "Hey you too. Did you have a good day?" she asked, looking between the nodding children.

     "Mommy said I have to go home with you today." Karsyn told her as she stood.

     "I know. She called me this morning. They'll be picking you up later. But for this afternoon you two get to play." Amber responded.

     The children cheered, following Amber to the car. Amber strapped Kiara into her car seat before moving to Karsyn's side to do the same. As she climbed into the driver's seat, she smiled at the sight in the rearview mirror. The two chatted happily, telling each other what had happened during the first day. Karsyn told of how he and his friends had laid claim to the playground during recess. Kiara shot back that she and the two friends she'd made that morning had stayed on the swings the entire time. Amber chuckled softly, pulling away from the school to head home.

----

     "Mama, where's dad?" Kiara asked, looking towards the woman as she cooked.

     "On his way home, why?" Amber responded, turning to face a teary eyed Kiara. "Kiara, what's wrong?"

     She stepped forward as her daughter moved towards her, embracing the teenager as she cried into her mother's shoulder.

     "Peter, he... He cheated.... He cheated on me." she stuttered between the tears.

     Amber tensed at the words. Gritting her teeth, she pulled back to look at Kiara.

     "I'm so sorry, baby. I really am." she said.

     "Don't be, mama. You didn't know he'd cheat. We all thought he was a good guy. I just need dad to get uncle Ash and uncle Mikey for a favor. Uncle Cal already knows because he had to get Karsyn earlier today."

     "For what?"

     "Fighting Peter."

     Amber chuckled as Kiara smiled a little.

     "I'm not allowing you father and uncles to go beat some kid to a pulp, Kiara. I will however permit them to speak with him. That's always done better than violence.

     Kiara nodded as her mother pulled her into another hug. Luke walked through the door a minute later. He held a plastic bag and two things of flowers in his hand. How he'd gotten in quietly was beyond Amber. He edged his way towards them, lightly tapping Kiara's shoulder when he reached her.

    "Dad." she sighed, swapping over to be in his arms.

    "Hey, princess. I brought you some things." he said, pulling back after a minute.

     He handed an assortment of colored roses to Kiara, keeping hold of the red ones, and the plastic bag. Kiara peeked inside and smiled before hugging him again.

     "Thank you, daddy."

     Both parents smiled. Kiara rarely called him that anymore. When she did, she was either overjoyed, sad, or needing something Amber told her to ask him for.

    "You're welcome. And don't worry. Peter won't be back for a few days." Luke stated as Kiara pulled away.

     "What did you do?" Amber asked suspiciously.

     "Nothing. Karsyn handled it for us. Both are suspended, of course, but at least she doesn't have to worry about him for a few days."

     Kiara chuckled while Amber shook her head as Luke smiled.

     "What am I going to do with you?" she asked as Kiara ambled off up stairs.

     "Accept these and possibly allow me a kiss." he responded, holding the roses out to her.

     "That can be arranged."

     She took the roses from him, gladly giving a kiss in return.

----

     "I'll be fine, mama. Besides, I have Karsyn. And by the time it's Emberly and Nathan's turn, they'll have us."

     "I know, baby. I'm just going to miss you." Amber responded, a few tears threatening to spill over.

     "I know, mama. I know." 

     She took the hug her daughter offered, holding her tightly. To think eighteen years had already flown by. Luke cleared his throat, causing the two of them to release each other. Kiara smiled at him before hugging him as well.

     "I'm going to miss you, princess." he said, fighting to control his voice from cracking.

     "I'm going to miss you too, daddy." she responded, her own tears finally spilling over.

     She pulled away from him and held out her hand. When he finally brought his hand to meet hers, they quickly did the school of rock hand shake. Amber smiled at the two of them. Ever since he'd been able to keep her focus on him, he'd taught her that hand shake. And now they still did it. Kiara smiled as she headed towards the car, fully packed and ready for her journey to Karsyn's apartment.

     "I love you!" she called as she started the car.

     "We love you too!" they answered, waving at her as she drove away.

     As they disappeared from her view, Kiara called Karsyn.

     "Hey."

     "I'm on my way."

     "Ready?"

     "This is going to be the adventure of a lifetime. The world saw our fathers and the greatness that they accomplished. It's our turn."

     "Let's do this."