Chapter Fourteen

It hadn't ended well. The times he did come around. Most of the time, Amber was able to have warning and take her car down the road for a few minutes so Luke could say her and Crystal were gone. Sometimes it was Luke who drove off, leaving the girls to be quiet and not open the door. There was one time, Amber threatened him. He ran after that. Either way, Crystal stayed in her room except to come and nibble on something, get a drink, or do her business. And Amber was beginning to grow increasingly annoyed at Calum's efforts. 

----

     Luke looked over at the door as a knock resounded from it. He didn't have a chance to stop Amber before she bolted up. He followed after her, catching movement from the stairs. He held a hand up at Crystal, watching as she sat and tucked herself behind the wall a little to watch. By the time he turned to stop Amber, she'd opened the door. 

     "What?" she snapped, glaring at the man on the other side.

     "Is she here? Please, I just want to talk to her." Calum answered.

     "And why should I let you?"

     "Why should you let me? Because, Amber, I love her and I want to apologize. You have done everything to keep me away. I ask for moment with her. Please."

     "Well she's my sister, Calum. And last time I checked, you hurt her! I have every right to protect her from you." 

     "Don't be stupid, Amber. This is between me and her."

     "Hey, watch what you say. If you'd like I could help her chase you off." Luke stated, anger lacing his voice.

     "You stay out of this, Luke." he responded. "Amber, move. Let me see my girlfriend."

     "No. Get out of here, Calum." she answered.

     "You really are the most stubborn ----- I've met."

     Crystal only remembered Luke saying Amber's name, a moving out her sight as he lunged towards her. She watched him drag her back a little, the girl fighting him as she yelled at Calum.

     "Don't ever come back here! You here me?! I'll kill you myself!"

     Crystal watched as Luke turned held her sister tightly until she calm down. When Amber finally quit, melting into nothing more than tears, Crystal made her way up stairs to her room. Closing the door, she marched over to the bedside table and snatched her phone from it. She shouldn't have done it but no one was allowed to do that to Amber and get away with it. If Luke couldn't do anything at the moment, Crystal would. Her anger finally boiled over when he answered with a sickening innocent greeting.

     "How could you say that to her?!"

     "No, Cal, that was uncalled for!"

     "You kissed the girl and hurt me. Amber's only looking out for me!"

     "If you can't respect my older sister protecting me then you can crawl in a hole and die!"

     "No, I'm not coming home."

     "Never, Calum."

     She hung up at that. She threw her phone onto the bed, sitting against the wall as she began to cry. She didn't know Amber had walked in until she hugged her sister close. Amber held onto Crystal as the younger cried. Amber let a few tears fall as well. She hadn't meant what she said to Calum. Hearing Crystal's words made her hurt. Her sister was hurting because of the one who loved her and there was nothing Amber could do to help her.

     Luke stood in the doorway, looking at the two. First Crystal and now Amber. Amber could rebound from this. He wasn't sure if Crystal could or not. He still remembered what Crystal had told him about Amber. He couldn't deal with watching it happen in front of him. He hadn't been there to see Amber. He hadn't been able to help her. But he could help Crystal. 

----

     "Come on. We'll run upstairs and get your stuff. Don't worry, okay. Just stay by me." Luke instructed as they walked into Calum's house. 

     Crystal nodded and quietly followed him inside. They made their way upstairs quickly, heading down the hall. Amber trailed behind them, stopping as Luke motioned Crystal to lead the way. She did, heading down to a door. Opening the door, she stopped just inside as Calum walked out of the bathroom while slipping a shirt over his head. He froze when he saw her, both of them looking towards the door as it shut. 

     "Hey!" Crystal shouted, tugging on the door knob. 

    "Luke, what are you doing?!" Amber asked in astonishment.

    "I'm letting what happened to Amber happen to you. We're leaving you two in there until you make up." he responded, locking the door.

     "I knew we should have turned that knob around so the lock is on the inside." Calum muttered, sitting on the bed.

     When Crystal didn't answer, he looked up from his phone. She had moved into a corner, sitting down as sobs began to rack her body. With a swift string of profanities, Calum jumped up from the bed, moving towards her. 

     "Crystal, calm down. You're alright I'm here." he said quickly as he sat beside her.

     When she didn't respond, he moved her to where he could hold her. Pressing a soft kiss to her forehead, he gently began rubbing her back. As she began to calm down slowly, he continued rubbing little designs along her spine.

     "It's okay, baby. I'm here." he whispered, pressing another kiss to her forehead.

      They stayed liked that for a few minutes, him working to calm her down. She finally calmed down, soon relaxing comepletely against him. He didn't let her go though. He didn't want to. Not while he had her so close for now.