Chapter Four

"Come on, let's go!" Crystal shouted, making a run for it. 

     "Crystal, wait up!" Amber shouted, chasing her down the small incline.

     The good thing about living in San Francisco? Always being prepared to hit the beach. A surprise stop at a lake in Montana for some exercise? Perfect. The boys followed the girls, realizing just how fast the two were as they hurried behind them. Crystal hit the water first, diving as she reached a deep enough end. Amber followed closely behind her as the boys reached the bottom of the incline. 

     "For being short they're fast." Michael panted before taking off again.

    Ashton laughed and rushed after him, tackling him as they reached the water. Calum and Luke followed them in, being more civilized. As Michael and Ashton came up, a sudden shout rang out before a large splash was heard. Crystal stood on a ledge, laughing as she reached for the returning rope, while Amber came up with a grin. 

     "I'm next!" Ashton stated, swimming for the side the girls were at. 

     Luke followed quickly, Michael and Calum fighting to catch up to them. Ashton and Luke were the first two to reach the other side, Calum scrambling up behind them. Michael huffed as he followed Calum up, mumbling for him to move it. When he looked to where Calum was looking, he notice Crystal was laughing with Amber before they began swimming towards them.

     "Quit stalking her every move and move it, mate." Michael said, lightly shoving him.

     Calum snapped out of his daze and quickly kept moving as Luke launched off the ledge. The afternoon passed with a great deal of fun. It wasn't everyday they got to do this. Calum had slipped off the rope early twice, falling to the water without the grace when he held on properly. 

     "This was fun." Amber panted as they headed up the incline. 

     Everyone agreed as they climbed back up and headed for the bus. Drying off the best they could, the group finally got back on and allowed the journey to continue. There were still months ahead of fun days like this, not to mention countless nights filled with music.

---

    And those months didn't last nearly long enough. With their tour finished, the girls were forced to return home to San Francisco while the boys returned to Australia. It wasn't something looked forward to by either parties. 

     "I'm not ready for it to be over." Amber mumbled, curling up against Luke as he kept an arm around her.

    "I know, babe." he said, kissing the top of her head.

    Amber smiled at the name. They were halfway through the tour when Luke had finally asked her the question fans had been asking for months during the tour. At first the girls were just the 'mystery girls' from San Francisco who tagged along on tour. 

     "It feels like yesterday we were standing in the crowd singing 'Permanent Vacation'." Crystal said, looking over at everyone from her place by the window. 

     Amber felt for Crystal as she spotted the sad look in her sister's eyes. Calum still had yet to admit anything for having feelings for her. After receiving a tip from Michael about it, she had kept her hopes up. She could see that her sister's hopes were fading the closer they got to California. If Calum was going to say anything it had to be soon or he may lose her. Crystal may have always been one to hold on, she also knew when she wasn't wanted and when to let go. And Amber believed she would if it came to it.

----

     "One day left. Let's make the best of it." Ashton said, rubbing his hands together.

     The girls had been thrilled when the bus had pulled into San Francisco a night early. It gave them one more day. 

     "Well, what are we waiting for?" Amber inquired as she looked over at a grinning Crystal.

     "To the beach!" the younger exclaimed. 

     The boys grinned and darted off up stairs to the guest room. Seeing as the girls weren't about to leave them at a hotel or in the bus, they had extended an invitation for a night in a decent house. The boys had not denied the invitation, gladly taking the offer.

     Crystal walked out into the living room, heading for the kitchen, almost tripping as she saw Calum on the couch with Ashton. Ashton laughed at something Calum said, Crystal barely catching the words scared, talk, and girl. Her heart fell as she realized he didn't have the guts to talk to a girl. And that girl probably wasn't her. As she walked back into the living room with a bottle of water, Ashton headed up stairs to get ready. She faked a sly smile as she looked over at Calum.

     "Well, I'm not scared to talk to a girl." she stated coyly.

     It happened in seconds. She didn't realize he was up until she was pinned against the wall, her body flush with his. His warm breath tickled her ear and neck as he whispered in her ear.

     "Does it look like I'm scared now?"

     "M-Me?" she stuttered.

     "You." he assured her, kissing her neck before moving to kiss her lips.

     Crystal could have sworn her legs were going to give. After he had pulled away and as she gained her composure, Calum took a seat back on the couch. The boys came down stairs, Amber coming out of the down stairs hall. 

     "Let's go. Last day to make it all count." Amber smiled before heading out.

     Everyone squeezed into Amber's car, Calum sitting Crystal on his lap once the spaces were taken. With her cheeks burning, she was glad they'd be at the beach in a few minutes. That way she could cover up the fact Calum had caused her heart to race and her mind to scatter as everything inside melted at his very touch. And his kiss, let alone the though, from earlier did not help matters.