Birthday Cake and Late Night Dinner

"Happy birthday to youuu, happy birthday to youu, happy birthday dear Belle, happy birthday to youuuuu!"

I smiled and looked around the room at the small amount of people who had just finished singing happy birthday to yours truly. I was finally turning 18 and I was probably the most excited as I'll ever be. Being 18 means you are considered an adult. I will be taken seriously and maybe my mom will finally accept the fact that I'm moving out of the house and into a new flat with my best friend Kelly.

I leaned over to blow out the candles on my fabulous cake. Being a waitress at Nandos means I don't exactly have tons of money to blow on whatever I wanted. Although today during my dinner shift, I was surprised by the fellow workers with a gorgeous birthday cake. It was decorated with pink frosting and had "Happy Birthday Belle" written on top with swirly letters. As soon as I blew out the candles everyone cheered.

"Okay dig in!" My boss said with a grin. Everyone graciously accepted a piece of cake including myself. I mean who could pass on cake? Just as I put the first fork full of cake in my mouth the phone rang. I was surprised since Nandos hours were nearly over. Usually at this time everyone just cleaned up so we could go home but never the less I just continued eating my cake. My boss, Rich jogged over to the phone answering it with an upbeat tone, talking to the caller. I put my cake down and walked over to Kelly.

"Soo..." She said turning to me with a grin plastered on her face. "Am I the best friend ever or what? It took me forever to find you the perfect cake you know" She said, practically beaming. "The best and thanks Kells" I replied laughing. I said goodbye and thank you to some of the remaining workers who were now heading home. Since I worked the dinner shift it was pretty late and I was ready to head out until my boss came over to me with an apologetic look in his eyes.

"Hey Belle, I know it's your birthday and all but we have an important guest coming in a couple minutes and the other waiters already left" I groaned and looked at him with pleading eyes. "Can't we inform them that Nandos closed 10 minutes ago?"

"Sorry hun this is an important customer. I'm sure you'll be fine it's just one more group of people for the night." He replied. I rolled my eyes before answering.

"Okay I'll stay. Why is this person so important though? They really can't wait until tomorrow?" My boss laughed lightly before ruffling my hair "it'll be over before you know it. I'll be in the back; you're free to go when that table is done...oh, and happy birthday!" With that he walked to the back toward his office room. I sighed and pulled on my apron. Kelly and most of the staff had already left. The only people who remained were the chefs and some workers to clean up. I walked to the kitchen to inform the cooks that there would be another customer coming in for the night. They just nodded and stopped putting things away. Just as I was leaving the kitchen I saw the hostess leading a group of people to one of the many empty tables in my section. I plastered on my best fake smile and walked over to them.

"Hello! I'm Belle and I'll be your server tonight" I said, trying to sound happy and upbeat even though I was slightly annoyed these people decided to come in after hours were over. "Would you like to place your drink orders?" I asked.

The first person looked up from his menu. Automatically he smiled, showing off his perfect teeth. The first thing I noticed was that he was cute; really cute actually. He had curly brown hair and seemed friendly enough. The second thing I noticed was that he was wearing sunglasses and a hoodie. That part slightly scared me. What was the need to wear sunglasses inside, and at night? I shifted uncomfortably after I noticed that not only was curly boy wearing hoodies and sunglasses, everyone at the table was too.

"Yes ill have an iced tea love" Replied curly boy. I nodded scribbling it down on my pad. The next boy had a dark quiff that was perfectly styled. "Coke please" he said with a nod. "Okay.. and you?" I said adding it the list. "Ill have water and an iced tea please" said a blonde haired boy. I noticed his accent wasn't british.. irish maybe? I wrote down his order and moved on to the next boy. He had straight brown hair and was sharing a menu with curly, even though he had one of his own. He looked up before replying "just water, thanks". I wrote that down and faced the last boy who was looking down at his phone smiling. I waited patiently for a good 5 seconds before he looked up and placed his drink order. After I had everything written down I hurried to the back to get their drinks muttering under my breath. Who the heck comes into a restaurant AFTER HOURS with a whole gang of people? Who do they think they are! I shook my head and got their drinks, taking my time. If they were going to waste my time coming in late, I didn't need to hurry for them. A couple minutes later I walked to their table with their drinks, ready to get their food orders.