Road Trip - Chapter 30

(Omg a new chapter already? YES! I worked super hard to write you guys a new chapter as soon as possible and not let you wait another month. Pls love me by leaving wonderful comments and votes. Thank you so so much! And thank you for the kind messages last chapter)

[Nathan's Point Of View]

It was Monday and I only had two classes. Leo was already gone by the time I woke up and was going to be busy all day. Actually, he was going to be busy all week. Might not even see him at all till he went to bed. This meant I was going to be bored and alone. The skate park nearby was being changed so construction was going to last a while. My friends were all busy with their own work and school, it was a bad week to be me.

But I had Dakota.

Dakota didn't go to school and his job wasn't demanding. We could hang out. But I was too nervous to ask. I knew what was going to happen if we met up. What if he rejected me right in front of my face? I'd be so embarrassed that I'd never see the sunlight ever again.

I wasn't a strong boy. I was a weak boy with weak feelings. Still, I texted him if we could hang out and I put my phone on silent so I wasn't tempted to look while I was in school.

Three hours later I was back in my dorm room, alone and anxious. Leo's bed was made and mine was all messy. I sat on my bed and pondered. Leo was going to be finishing school soon and then I was going to be even more alone. I joined college two years after Leo started, so that meant I was going to have a new roommate eventually.

I hated that.

I knew I needed to get over Leo, and truthfully, I was on my way there. My thoughts and feelings were changing quickly. Now I loved Leo because he was so cute and funny and I wanted to put him in my pocket, but I wasn't in love with him. My heart was too broken to keep feeling that way. But luckily, I healed fast. Now my heart was after someone else, but what if the same thing happened again? What if I started to love someone who didn't love me back? Dakota was so freaking cool and awesome and intimidating because it seemed like he had his entire life put together. Why would he want someone like me? I was too immature. I laughed at dick jokes. I dressed like I was trying to disappoint my parents. And I fucking loved chicken fingers.

Dakota was . . . he was funny. Definitely too good for me, but I at least wanted to try.

I checked my phone and he had replied ten minutes after I sent the message. He replied with the dolphin emoji. That was it. What was that supposed to mean? Did I need to google this?

I replied and asked what that meant.

He started calling and my stomach flipped.

"Hey," I answered, holding the phone to my ear as I laid back on my bed.

"I'm sorry, I was tired when I sent that." He laughed all cute like a cute dork who was cute. "I don't know what it means. I was actually sleeping when I heard my phone and for some reason I woke up just to reply with a dolphin. Didn't even realize it was you."

"No problem, maybe the dolphin can be our thing."

Jesus fucking Christ why did I just say that? Maybe the dolphin can be our thing? I clearly wasn't thinking because I would never say that and expose myself so easily. Now he definitely had to know I liked him. What kind of dude tells another dude a stupid animal emoji could be our thing? Oh my god that was so gay.

He laughed again, instead of straight up judging me. "Sure. What does it mean then?"

"Uh . . . Maybe it's like a thumbs up? Like a yes? Something positively good?"