Road Trip - Chapter Twenty-Seven

(It's been a while . . . Vote if you missed the story! Don't vote if you hate it and want me to delete it lmao)

[Derek's Point Of View]

"Excuse me, young man?"

I looked up and almost jumped back at the sight of an old lady, leaning over the counter, staring directly into my soul with big blue eyes behind square glasses. Her pursed lips moved awkwardly like she had a warhead in her mouth.

"Y-yes? How may I help you?" I asked.

"I need my pictures developed," she said, holding out a disposable camera.

"Uh, we don't do that here, but you can check Honmart down the street."

She looked back confused, scrunching her nose and glaring hard at me. "What do you mean? This is an electronics store. This is an electronic device." She pushed the old camera towards me and I sighed. "Please develop my roll. I found the camera in my basement from years ago and I believe it was from my niece's tenth birthday party. By tenth I mean it was her tenth party that day, she was turning eighteen."

"I'm sorry, we don't develop film here. You have to check the other store."

She grabbed her camera angrily and stormed off.

My eyes gave the Leo eye roll and I sighed deeply as I planted my face on the counter. A co-worker walked behind me and patted my back before leaving for his lunch break.

"Hey, Derek," said Janice, a new person that started working here yesterday.

"Hey," I responded as I looked up and rested my chin on my arms, leaning against the counter.

"Want to come with?" she asked as she removed her jacket. "We're going to eat at Randy's."

"No, thanks. I'm just gonna stay here for my break."

"Alright." She smiled. "I'll see you later."

No thanks, I'm gay.

"See you."

For some unknown reason she walked away slowly. I really wish I knew the reason. If only it was obvious.

Ten minutes later, my break was interrupted by Gerald.

"My dude, there's some dude asking for you outside," he said.

It couldn't be Sasha, Gerland knew Sasha. And Sasha wouldn't make me walk outside when he could just come in and look for me. Even when we didn't have any Cheetos.

"Who is it?" I asked as I left my empty counter.

He shrugged. "He just told me to tell you to come outside."

Gerald went to go help a customer while I walked across the store to find the dude asking for me. I didn't even need to guess when I stepped outside and saw the fancy car parked in the front with the tinted windows.

As I walked towards it, still wondering if I was right, the back door opened. I carefully touched the shiny door as if it were made out of diamonds and pulled it, taking a moment to look around before I slid inside. It wasn't the same car my grandma was in the time she kidnapped me from the hospital, but it was similar, only this one had my uncle.

And Sasha.

"Uh."

"Hi, Derek," Sasha said.