Chapter twenty-one

Sora groans, shifting in his place on the stone floor. His senses pick up the sounds of dripping water and the smells of smog and mold. He tries to stretch his wings away from his back, only to find that he can't move very much what with the chains wrapped around him, draining his energy slowly and keeping his arms and wings bound. His tail flicks in agitation at that, Sora groaning again at the unbelievable mess he's gotten himself into. Gods, why him?

Analyzing the scents, his eyes fly open and he becomes aware of where he is. Last he remembered he was at the warehouse district outside of town, if his memory wasn't shit at the moment. Where exactly is he though?

He shifts again, blinking at the rays of sunlight shining in his face from a small window before hearing a heavy door open, an earthy scent greeting his nose...a scent he is actually very familiar with.

"Riku?" He croaks as he turns his head and gazes through the bars of a cell, the werewolf standing quietly on the other side, "how long have I been out?"

"Just a few hours," Riku whispers. Sora's vision clears and his eyes widen at the silveret's attire; a familiar black coat and a bandana covering his eyes for some strange reason. Sora's eyebrows knit together as a heavy sense of foreboding settles in his stomach.

"Please tell me that coat's just a disguise so you can get me and Roxas out of here."

Riku doesn't say anything, which is answer enough. Sora heaves a tired sigh and says despondently, "why Riku?"

The other male turns his head, even with the blindfold on Sora gets the impression that Riku is avoiding looking at him, "that spawn isn't good enough for you Sora. Even if I'm just a soldier; a lowly mutt at that, I wish to be by your side."

Sora shakes his head, "you'll always be by my side, you're my best friend first and a soldier second as I-"

"That's not what I meant Sora," Riku interrupts, voice hard as steel, "I want you as more than just a friend."

"'More than'...?" Sora sighs, "we've been over this before Riku; we can't be together, and it's not just because of class or rank but-"

"Because of Roxas and the mate bond?" Riku scoffs, "that'll be fixed soon, Xemnas told me-"

Now Sora interrupts, "Xemnas? The leader?" He grits his teeth, "you really believe the Organization can fix something that has been determined since the beginning of time?"

"It's the only hope I have! Roxas is just a spawn-!"

"Remember your place Riku," Sora growls, tail swishing at the insult to his other.

"No Sora!" Riku snaps, his composure falling away, "Roxas is not worthy of you! He's immature, disrespectful and an utter fool! You deserve so much more!"

Sora snorts, "and you think you're any better?"

"I-"

"Look at what you're doing right now Riku," Sora continues as if the other man never spoke, "you are being disrespectful to me, your general, and are holding on to the childish believe that a mate bond doesn't matter. As far as I can tell, you are the one who's being immature and you're a fool for betraying our king, believing you can change something that can't be changed."

Sora narrows his eyes, "you're willing to throw away our friendship for something that can never happen. And even if Xemnas CAN somehow make it to where my mate bond can be switched to you, that doesn't mean I will automatically start loving you in that way."

He turns his head away, scowling at the wall to his right, "in fact, if anything were to happen to Roxas because of it, I would hate you with every fiber of my being until the day we fall to hell."

"You think that now Sora," Riku says, tone hard yet there is a slight waver in it, "once the ritual is complete you will never even think about him again; it's only because of the bond that you worry about him in the first place, even when he flat out rejected you."

"Roxas never truly rejected me Riku. If he did, then we wouldn't be talking now would we?" Resting his forehead against the stone floor, the brunet watches out of the corner of his eye with morbid satisfaction as Riku bristles. Sora closes his eyes and huffs, "he has never known of our culture, it's understandable that he would be wary of something that before now he believed to be pretty fey tales and horror stories."

He opens his eyes again and gazes squarely at the werewolf, feeling Riku's eyes burning into him despite the blindfold, "he still calls me, even if he's unaware of it I can sense his distress through our bond," Sora smiles gently, "if he truly rejected me, the line would be cut and we would both go insane; even in spite of our...'tantrums' I guess you could call it, I still feel sane enough to not be a monster like the humans think demons are. I'm willing to wait as long as it takes for him to come to me of his own will, until then though I will follow in the shadows, wherever my Other Half may go."

Riku growls, turning sharply.

"I'm sorry Riku," Sora says softly, eyes now holding sadness, "maybe if things were different we would be together like that, but we both know we can't change what the String Of Fate dictates. My heart and soul have always belonged to Roxas, and his to me, since we were born into this twisted world almost twenty-one years ago."

Riku bares his teeth, wrenching the door open before hissing, "we'll just see about that," he slams the door behind him.

Sora lets out a breath of air and closes his eyes once more, body untensing as he mutters, "why does it have to be like this Riku? I want you to be happy, just as much as me, but..." His wings twitch, unable to move fully and somewhat aggravating the usually energetic man.

"Fate and Destiny really are sadistic bitches...aren't they Ku?"

.o.o.o.0.0.0.o.0.0.0.o.o.o.

Sorry for the late update, I hope a double update makes up for it? *wry smile* I've been very busy lately, and unfortunately it ended up slipping my mind, but this story is completed and will be updated in full. I'll try to keep to my schedule until this is done, but I can't guarantee that I'll always be on the mark.

That said, I'd like to thank anyone who's been patiently baring with me through all this, and when the story is complete, I'll have some news to give relating to it! So please try and bare with me if you're interested!

I hope everyone has a great weekend, and I'll see you all soon! *waves*

~Sorceress