Chapter eighteen

"Watch out!!!"

Axel slams on the breaks, just barely managing not to crash into another car. The other driver leans out his window and curses the red head out before pulling away.

"Yeah, well fuck you too dickhead!" Axel calls back as he flips the driver the bird. He settles back into his seat and grits his teeth, hands locked on the steering wheel in a white knuckle grip as he waits for traffic to clear before taking off again.

"Just how long has it been since you actually drove a car?" Sora barks, fingers clamped around the 'oh shit!' handle and on the arm rest between them. His jaw hurts from clenching it so hard and he is sitting stiffly in his seat as his eyes focus on the road ahead, "I mean, not saying I'm a great driver, but this is a little-"

"Just shut up will ya'!" Axel snaps, turning a corner sharply. Sora's fingers dig into the armrest and his nails rip holes in to the upholstery, "it's been a while, that's all I'm saying about it!"

"If I didn't know any better I'd say it was longer than a while," Sora growls, slitted gold eyes burning holes into the side of Axel's head, "do you even know where you're going?"

Emerald eyes flick to the brunet, pupils slitted in agitation when they locked with gold, "of coarse I do! Who do you think you're talking to-"

"Watch the road dammit!!!" Sora yells when he notices they're about to run into a fire hydrant. Axel's eyes snap ahead again and he swerves back onto the street, the side of Sora's car clipping the hydrant.

"You are so going to pay me for any damage you do to my car," Sora says, flashing a sharp fang at the spawn in warning.

Axel throws a hand up, "well if you'd just shut up and let me drive then maybe your precious baby wouldn't get scratched up huh?"

"Let me get one thing straight here half-breed," the brunet says through clenched teeth, "if you kill us before we manage to get to Roxas, I will make it my personal mission to send you to meet Satan in pieces."

Axel's eyes widen and they once again flick to the demon before focusing back on the road. Sora's hair has black streaks in it and is getting darker by the minute in his desperation and rage.

"We'll get to him Sora," says Axel softly.

Sora inhales, calming himself slightly as he turns his attention back to the street. They stay silent for a while as Axel turns down what looks to be an abandoned road. Axel slows down as potholes make the car lurch roughly, his fingers denting the wheel as he keeps the car steady. Finally letting curiosity get the better of him, Sora asks,

"Where are you taking us?"

"The warehouses."

Sora raises an eyebrow, "why the warehouses?"

"This is the base for Organization Thirteen," Axel replies, "this is where you'll find the leader, Xemnas. If I'm right, then Roxas will be there too."

Sora shifts in his seat, eyes meeting the road as he contemplates the idea, 'it's not too far fetched,' he muses, 'from what I gather, nobody's been here for years, it would be a perfect place to hide...'

Sora mentally slaps himself, 'I'm so stupid! Why didn't I think to check here before?!'

Axel stops the car just as the roofs of the warehouses come into view. Getting out of the car, they silently enter the district and take in the large metal sheds; many with the appearance of neglect. Sora looks out over the dark horizon, his night vision finding a rural neighborhood some twenty yards away. He follows Axel to the back of the district where one building looks different; it does look old, but it also seems more well kept than the others.