Chapter ten

Axel rubs under his eyes, right over the reverse teardrop tattoos on his cheeks. 'Well this just made my position so much more difficult,' he thinks before sighing tiredly.

"Why do I always get stuck with the icky jobs..."

After being called in by his boss to be on the look out for a certain blond, Axel didn't want to believe it. As far as he knew, Roxas is a human from his scent down to his thoughts. But when he asked Saix how he got fucked up like he did, Saix said that a spawn had attacked them when Marluxia got too pushy. Axel had laughed, for a good five seconds, until Saix went on to describe what the spawn looked like.

Even now, Axel finds it hard to believe. He had known Roxas since the orphanage, and Roxas always smelled fully human. Sure he always had a bit of a temper, but he had moments that don't corelate whatsoever to a demon; even a half-blood like the vamps suggested.

Regardless, Axel kept an eye on Roxas, but there hasn't been a moment of 'demon-ness' that he could find. Even when that damn Emotic-Trickster, Axel growled at this, had battled Axel's soldiers in hopes of drawing it out, Roxas had reacted like a human would.

'Maybe they're talking about a different guy?' Axel muses as he quietly drinks his coffee, grimacing at the taste. He never liked the stuff, but considering he sat up all night worrying about Roxas, he needed something to keep him awake.

He hears the the front door open and shut. Well, speak of the devil and there he finally is.

Roxas throws his bag in some random corner and trudges towards the bedrooms, "Yo Rox, where ya' been last night?" Axel calls out.

The blond halts, standing in place for a moment before turning his head and smiling at the other male, "I was staying at a friend's house last night, didn't have the energy to walk home."

"Working late again? You know Xi doesn't mind picking you up when that happens."

Roxas shakes his head, "naw, I don't like bothering her when she has to work. I'm fine...my other friend's house was closer anyway."

"Who's this friend of yours anyway? Don't have any time for us anymore?" Axel said, keeping up his act of ignorance and giving Roxas a pout.

Roxas' pasted on grin comes off and Axel drops his own look when Roxas bites his lip, clutching the front of his shirt where his heart would be. 'What the...?'

Before he knows it, Roxas has put up that smile again, "I'm not abandoning you guys, we're all just so busy that we haven't had time y'know?"

Axel takes note of the fact that he didn't answer his first question, but doesn't say anything about it, "well, how 'bout we all takes some time off then?"

Roxas frowns, looking stunned, "you know we can't-"

"Just for a night!" Axel interrupts, waving his hand as if to ward off Roxas' rejection, "tell your boss you want a night off, Xion's got friday off, I'm sure you could swing that right?"

Roxas seems to ponder this for a moment before he finally nods, giving Axel a real grin, "yeah, I guess I can do that. Friday right?"

"Yep!" Axel says, his signature smirk tugging on his lips, "don't be late got it memorized? I don't think me and Xi would appreciate being stood up." He wiggles his brows, looking at Roxas through his lashes.

Roxas laughs, "oh shit, you were talking about a date? Damn, I might reconsider if your fugly mug is gonna be there."

"Hey~," Axel warns teasingly, happy that Roxas is back to his snarky self. He had missed that the past few days.