Chapter nine

After Riku had left, silence falls over the four occupants in the room. Roxas pulls away from Sora, who allows it albeit hesitantly, and turns to look at the brunet.

Sora's eyes are blue again, darker now with nervousness and...maybe fear? Roxas isn't sure. He takes his time to study the brunet, the large bat like wings with sharp talons, the furred tail hanging limp behind him. He is wearing a simple tank and jeans, for all intents and purposes a normal man, if it wasn't for the extra.

Roxas had thought that the tail and wings were fake, simply part of Sora's costume for when he was on stage. But the encounter with those creatures, dusks Sora had called them, had shown Roxas how real they are. Sora fidgets under Roxas scrutinizing gaze, looking distinctly unsettle and apparently waiting for the shit to hit the fan. Kairi and Naminé stay quiet as well, waiting for Roxas' reaction with baited breath.

Roxas opens and closes his mouth for a minute, trying to figure out what to say. He knows he should be terrified of Sora, should be running out the front door screaming like a mad man at the new information that has been thrown at him with almost minimal warning, but he feels nothing. A cold numbness has settled over the blond, leaving him with out an appropriate reaction. 'Maybe I've gone into shock again,' he thinks distantly, 'can't be good for my health if I keep doing that.'

"Roxas?" Sora finally speaks, his whole body and expression showing dismay, as if he'd been rejected. The man in question feels his heart clench painfully at the look on the brunet's face, the first emotion that registers in Roxas' system. He sighs heavily before meeting Sora's eyes with something akin to exhaustion; though he knows it isn't for lack of sleep.

"So...you're a...demon..."

A nod from the brunet, "Yeah..."

"So..." Roxas clears his throat and shifts his weight from one foot to the other, "did I do something to warrant the attention? I mean..." he feels the back of his neck and pulls his eyes away, "I've never done anything to go to hell did I? I've never hurt anyone except in self defence and-"

A snort causes him to look at Sora again, the brunet relaxing a bit as his lips turn up in wry amusement, "no, that's not exactly how it works. And even if it did, you've done nothing to warrant suffering in hell fire for all eternity."

Roxas feels himself relax as well, even as his confusion remains, "then why?" He asks in a low voice.

Now it's Sora's turn to look away, shrugging his shoulders while putting his hands in his pockets.

"Because you're my Other," he says, voice just as low in the quiet of the room.

"Other?" Roxas shakes his head, "what...?"

"I...think humans call it a Soulmate, but it's so much deeper than that for us," Sora's eyes cut to him again as he speaks slowly; his face serious and eyes almost pleading, "you are literally half of my heart and soul, as I am yours. We were destined to meet each other since birth. Everyone with supernatural blood in them has an Other, someone to complete them,"

Sora looks Roxas right in the eyes, "you have demon blood in your veins, whether you like it or not. You can't tell me you haven't felt the emptiness; had the dreams?"

Roxas cringes, "I don't remember my dreams," he lies, "as for feelings of emptiness...I haven't really had time to notice if I do." More lies, Roxas feels his stomach drop because of them.

Roxas used to live in an orphanage, and all that time he had felt alone, felt like half of him was missing. He equated it to the fact that all the kids didn't like him and no family seemed to want him, but in his heart he knew there was so much more to it. He just never could figure out what it was that made his chest hurt, made him want to go out searching for whatever it was to make that pain go away. But...he had given up searching a long time ago.