chapter 24

It was a week before Tristan finally let me out of the house. I'm not even kidding. The first two days after we got back from where Antonio had been keeping me, Tristan stayed in wolf form the entire time. I stayed the night the first night and he huddled next to me, and when I woke in the morning he was in the same place still glancing around to make sure no one was coming to take me. Then when I tried to leave to go home he darted in front of the door and growled at me. Growled at me!

No one left and no one entered. Not me, not him, not his parents, not his sister. If someone needed something they called. Well the first two days he couldn't really answer because well you know, he refused to shift back to human form. If we needed something it was dropped off and the person ran away. Not joking.

The second day I had groceries dropped off because I was starving and when the door rang Tristan was in front of it in an instant and was growling up a storm. The person freaked, dropped the groceries and ran. I scolded him and the next time someone came to drop something off they left it quickly before Tristan could reach the door.

The third day he finally shifted back but he still refused to leave my side. He even made me go pee with the bathroom door cracked. That way if someone busted through the window he could get to me in time. He was paranoid to the max.

After a week I couldn't take being cooped up inside anymore. I told Tristan that I had to go home. I wanted my clothes, my weapons, and I needed to call the agency to tell them what happened. He was hesitant but finally decided I could leave. And by that I mean, we could leave.

He led me down the street to my house after I insisted on walking. He glared at anyone who got too close. But no one in this town was going to hurt me. All I received were happy and relieved smiles. But they knew not to get too close. If I was on one side of the street, they quickly crossed to the other. It was all due to the big, suspicious guy next to me, who even though he was in human form, he was relying heavy on his wolf instincts. He was getting quite the frightened looks.

When we got to my door he insisted on going first to make sure no one was inside, but as soon as he took a step in I followed behind him and shut the door. I received a very nasty glare.

I walked into the kitchen to make some coffee and noticed a plate of cookies and a handmade card from Hannah on the counter saying "Welcome Home!"

"She dropped those off a couple of days ago." He informed me.

"And you didn't want to tell me? Cookies go stale you know."

"I was more preoccupied with making sure you were safe." He retorted. I rolled my eyes and headed up the office.

I sat at my desk and Tristan sat in the chair across from me. I dialed the phone and waited, watching Tristan the whole time. It didn't take long for the receiver to pick up.

"Emma is that you?!" The director asked panicked.

"Yeah bossman, it's me." I replied and I heard the whoosh of air he let out.

"Where have you been! I haven't heard from you in weeks!"

"Antonio, he was behind everything. He held me captive for the past few weeks."

"Are you alr-"

"I'm fine and he's taken care of." I assured him.

"You've been through a lot on this assignment, perhaps you've been compromised and would benefit from some time off?" He trailed off and I knew this was it. He was giving me a way out. And even though I sat here staring at Tristan, the person who makes me the happiest I've ever been, I still couldn't imagine a life without the agency.