Chapter 33

I landed on the ground with an oomph. I pushed up off the ground and spat out the dirt in my mouth, glaring at the girl across from me who was doing the same thing.

"Really? The forest? That's what you went with?" I asked her slightly annoyed.

"I didn't want to be seen. They've been watching me, they'll be watching for portals and this was all I could think of." She argued.

"Yes but people portal all the time near the city, it's less suspicious there and now we have a three day walk ahead of us." She grimaced at that.

"Let's go." I gripped her arm and hauled her up. She trailed after me quietly for a while but like all good things, it didn't last.

"So what's the plan?" She asked.

"I don't know." I replied, ignoring her dumbstruck expression.

"You don't know! What do you mean you don't know!" She yelled panicked.

I shoved her roughly against a tree and pressed my forearm against her throat to quiet her. Her eyes flashed in fear and then glowed but she didn't use her powers against me.

"Would you be quiet? You portaled us out in the middle of nowhere while people are looking for you basically making them aware of something going on out here, you don't need to give away exactly where we are. And no I don't have a plan just yet because hey, I just found out we were coming here and didn't have time to gather any intel on anyone or anything. I'm flying blind here and I don't need you to make things worse before they need to be, got it?" I growled, my wolf satisfied when she smelt fear.

She nodded, "But-" I glared, "but we can't just storm in there. They'll kill you and who knows what they'll do to me."

"I know I'm working on it." I motioned for her to get walking again.

When night fell I shifted into a wolf and Ayla curled up next to the fire. She drifted off to sleep quickly but I stayed awake to keep watch. Being in a relatively unfamiliar realm was dangerous. Especially when you were being hunted by the people who were in charge.

Looking at Ayla, she was just girl. She didn't ask for these powers. All she wanted was a normal life. And if I could help her get that then I would.

I woke her up in the morning and pushed her hard through the day so we could make it to the city by nightfall.

When we arrived I booked us a room at a hotel and ushered her inside before too many people noticed us. I didn't need the wrong person to be alerted to our presence before it became relevant.

She sat down on the bed and looked at me expectantly. I sighed and ran a hand through my knotted hair wincing, the lack of shower from the past two days did more damage than I thought.

"Here's what's going to happen. Tomorrow I'm going to get some things and you are going to lay low." I said in a voice that raised no room for arguments.

"But for now, you're going to go shower." I motioned to the bathroom. She looked in the mirror and grimaced at her reflection before darting into the bathroom.

Thirty minutes later she came out clean and in fresh clothes. Finally I thought.

I walked in after she was out and was about to close the door when I heard her speak up.

"Thanks Emma." She said softly before turning away and going to sleep.

I showered quickly before changing and heading back into the room. I climbed into the other bed, the one closest to the door. After making sure my gun was under my pillow I drifted off to sleep.