Chapter 39

"Will you know when everyone's gone through?" I shouted to her as I dodged a bullet. The guards were firing away, hoping to hit any part of us they could.

"I'm not sure how many people were down there so I don't know how many people were supposed to go through." She said. Her eyes were closed as she concentrated on keeping the portals open. It wouldn't take a genius to tell that she was stressed out in this situation.

"Twelve are to go through the regular portal. Two through the second." I gave her the information and fired another shot at a guard. The bullet hit him in the shoulder and he hid behind one of the machines. My wolf was all too happy at the smell of our enemy's blood. And their fear.

I searched for Mr. Walters but him and several other spectators seemed to be in some sort of panic room off to the corner. Clever.

"Then yeah everyone has gone through." She answered.

"Good, close them." I glanced at her to see her eyes tightly shut and forehead creased.

While paying attention to Ayla I didn't notice when one of the doctors reached up to the computer system and activated the machine. The machine voiceover counted down from three and then my nightmare began.

Ayla's screams filled the room.

"No!" I cried out. But my own screams were deafened by hers. The sound, agony and fear, pierced to my soul.

Since my parents died, I have done awful things. I have killed and tortured. I have left people when they begged me to save them. I have listened to the screams of my victims, of the people I have inflicted upon unbearable pain. I know what I'm capable of. And I know that their screams will never haunt me the way that Ayla's will.

Her eyes were wide open, searing with pain. I couldn't look away, I watched with horror the moment her golden eyes dulled to a pale yellow and she slumped over in the chair. Her screams no longer echoing in the room.

But now a new sound filled the air. A consistent beep coming from the vile machine itself to alert us that the process had been successful and it had harnessed her powers.

"Alya?" I whispered and shifted closer to her. She whimpered and rolled her head to the side, the tears dripping to the floor didn't escape my notice.

"You will pay for this. You will suffer for everything you have done." I directed the words to Walters who still stood behind the protection of the safety glass in the left corner of the room.

I turned back around and quickly fired off shots at the remaining three guards who were too stunned by what just occurred to take cover. Walking around to look for the guard I shot in the shoulder earlier, I found him hiding beneath a computer system. He opened his mouth to beg no doubt, but I pulled the trigger before he had the chance. Walters and the other doctors were just watching me with confusion and fear.

I crossed the room back to Ayla, who was trembling and too weak to get out of the restraints.

"I am sorry, I failed. These powers bring nothing but destruction and problems. They're a curse, I wish I never had them. I am weak." She cried. "It hurts Emma." She faced her head to the side so I couldn't see her tears. My anger flared up all over again.

"You have nothing to be sorry for. You are a hero." Beep. "You saved all of those children." Beep. "You saved my mate." Beep. And then the awful machine, the one that has devastated and ripped away a part of this girl, would give what it had taken.

"And now I am going to save you."

She glanced over at me between tear soaked eyelashes but I didn't pay attention, I was too busy removing her restraints.