chapter 20

When I came to I was in a cell, it was dark and I had a massive headache.

I groaned and grabbed my head as I struggled to stand. I heard a growl and someone clanging around. I whipped my head to the left, which didn't help with the headache.

"Stop moving, you hit your head when you fell." Tristan growled at me. He was in the same cell as I was but he was chained to the wall. I smelt wolfsbane and looked to the cuffs around his hands and noticed the skin under them was red and blistering.

"Are you okay?" I said making my way over to him. As soon I was in arms reach, he pulled me to him, inspecting every inch of me to make sure I wasn't hurt.

"Are you okay?" He asked and I rolled my eyes.

"I'm not the one chained." I pointed out.

"No, but you are the one they keep injecting to keep sedated. They obviously know what you can do." He informed me. So that's why I was so groggy.

"Did you see who's behind this?" I asked walking over to the bars. He growled and tried to step closer to pull me back but was stopped by the chains.

"Stop worrying about me. We need to get you out of here." I said and looked around. There were about thirty other cells down here, all with people in them.

"I need to get you out of here." He growled and tried to break free from the chains, which only made the smell of burning flesh worse. I ran over to him and pushed him into the wall, holding him there with the pressure from my own body. "Stop that. If you keep hurting yourself, you'll be of no use to me when I try to get you out."

"Then stop walking away from me." He grabbed my wrist and pulled me to him.

"I need to get you out of here and I can't do that over here with you chained to a wall." I struggled and finally got out of his grasp, "Now. Did you see who's behind this?" I asked again.

He shook his head, "No. Just the doctor who keeps coming down to inject you."

"How long have we been here?" I was trying to guess how long I've been out but my head was still to foggy to think right.

"I don't know how long I was out, but they've been sedating you for three days." I didn't let my surprise show. Three days? That a long time for them to be doing nothing. Why keep us here for days, without showing who they are and to demand whatever it is they want? And why keep me sedated so long?

I turned to Tristan, "So no one's come down to demand what they want?" He shook his head. I was confused. And hungry. And nursing a killer headache.

"Come here." He said. I shook my head, "No, I have to get you out of here."

"You can't do that if you're out of it. Come here." He sat down on the floor and held his hand out to me. I put my hand in his and let him pull me down on his lap, he was careful to not let any of the chains touch me.

"Sleep it off." He said and honestly I couldn't think of anything but sleep in that moment so that's exactly what I did.

When I woke up the pounding in my head was gone. I sat up and waited for my eyes to adjust to the darkness, it took longer than it should have.

"Whatever they injected you with is partially blocking your wolf." Tristan explained and I felt a shiver run through me. Not being connected to your wolf was like having a part of yourself stripped away.

"Has anyone come down?" I asked.

He nodded, "But when they saw you were asleep they went back up."