.23. Confrontation

Harleen walked out of her shared room with J and noticed immediately the heavy presence of armed men around her. They were scattered all over the place.

She searched all over for J, but he was nowhere to be found. Walking down the stairs, she walked right to Frost, who stood right outside the Joker's office door.

"Frost? Where's my puddin?" She asked as she looked around.

"Oh, he's in the uh...the chamber," Frost said hesitantly. He knew how much Harley hated that place. It meant he had taken someone prisoner and if that was the case, then all the work he had poured into this mass effort just went down the toilet.

Harleen's blue eyes widened and without a word, she rushed past Frost, who followed closely behind her

"Harls, please he said he didn't want anyone barging in!" Frost bellowed, trying to grab onto her wrist to stop her but the blonde was quick on her feet.

Once she turned the corner, she stood in front of the door, looking down at the knob contemplatively.

"Harls-"

"Go away." She said sternly. Frost hadn't heard that tone in a while, it's as if it served as confirmation that things were changing back to the way they used to be.

Harleen inhaled and opened the door, walking through it and slamming it behind her. She was at the top of a large staircase, leading down to the dark, cold torture chamber.

With every step she took downwards, memories of her own imprisonment here plagued her mind, she felt the very chill in her bones and hated the way she felt now. But she knew her lover was down here and he'd never come down here unless they had a special 'guest'.

"Puddin?" She spoke out gently.

She heard murmurs briefly but they stopped suddenly. She could've easily mistook them as the voices in her head but when The Joker appeared before her, she confirmed that it was him.

He quickly grabbed her arm and prevented her from walking any further.

"What are you doing down here? I specifically told Frost-"
"Puddin, what are you doing here?" She spoke defiantly against him. She should have known better but now she just didn't care. He was jeopardizing everything. All of his plans.
And for the man she loved, she was willing to risk it all if it meant for him to stick to his plans.

"Harley.." he warned.

"Jack

"Jack." She replied.
He wasn't getting anywhere with the surprisingly toughened blonde, who at the moment seemed to be competing in a stare-off with her lover.

"I told Frost specifically not to let you down here," he was seething, yet his voice was low and calm.

"Have you forgotten everything you've put your blood and soul into already? I know you're down here with someone, pud, and I know I'm gonna regret knowing who, but you need to stop. Please." Harleen practically begged. She had never gotten remorse before but now she hoped he'd listen to reason.

"Oh Harley...always putting on a brave face for your Puddin," The joker pinched her cheeks and grinned in her face. "So cute! But I'm afraid somethings have had to change since you last spoke to jack."

His voice was different, so was the look on his face. It was dark but she could see him clear as day, and her was thumping against her chest as he leaned in closer and closer.

She couldn't help but flinch as he brought his head closed to hers, a scowl on his face. Closing her eyes she felt his breath on her as she held in her own.

She felt his warm breath on her forehead, where he placed a gentle kiss. He then grabbed her wrist and started to lead her up the stairs.
"Puddin, please!" Harleen begged as she felt him use his entire weight to push her up the steps. She didn't want to cross him at this point, she knew better.
He didn't say a word as he pushed her up.

He didn't have to tell her about Bruce now anyway.
This was slowly becoming more and more personal, with details about his past yet to be told by the billionaire.

Once they were back in the hall, Harleen noticed scratches and cuts all over the Joker. The look on his face was different. It wasn't Jack's.

"Jack.." Harleen called behind him as the joker once again opened the door to descend down the steps towards the chamber. He turned to her and grinned.

"Jack is gone, kitten."