.5. A message from the slums

Jack sat in the back seat of the limo being driven by Jonny Frost, now known as Jonathan. He watched as they delved deeper and deeper into what was considered the slums of Gotham.

The streets were littered with tents and other forms of camp shelter, along with trash, chairs, and bags

The streets were littered with tents and other forms of camp shelter, along with trash, chairs, and bags. The stench that never bothered him once upon a time was now unbearable.

These were the exact conditions under which crime arose. In Gotham, it was eat or be eaten. And the people living here, often unwillingly, had no choice but to adopt this dogma.

He leaned back and exhaled the breath he had been holding in unknowingly, thinking of all the words that would spew from his mouth once he was set up to officially campaign.

"Puddin?" The soft, feminine voice of his female companion pulled him out of his thoughts and he smiled as he turned to face her

"Pumpkin." He said with a smile.

"Are you sure this is where you wanna start? I mean, it's a great idea and all but I don't see those fancied up politicians going to the bad part of town to make a point." Harleen said with skepticism. She loved him unconditionally as she had proven, but she thought her lover might benefit from his newfound normalcy and apply to higher means of communicating his points.

Jack chuckled and took her hand in his.

"This is where we're from, Harleen, whether we like it or not. The Joker and Harley Quinn were given a second chance, it's time we give our people theirs." He spoke calmly in a raspy voice that only made Harleen grow more and more excited.

With a giggle, she leaned in and kissed his neck slowly, but leaned back away from him as she felt the car slow down.

"We're here boss." Jonathan announced.

Jack peered back out of the window. He was met with some of the most frightening figures you could imagine, from men covered in tattoos to women in tattered clothes. Dirt and grime covered all surfaces, broken glass littered the floors. No one was taking care of themselves, much less the environment. But this was all too familiar to Jack, who slowly stepped out of the limo, keeping his composure.