Chapter 13

~Song of the Chapter: Runaway Baby - Bruno Mars~

***Becky's P.O.V.***

"Trying to forget someone you loved is like trying to remember someone you never knew"

- Unknown

I knew that I could never be able forget Carter. I would never forgive myself for this. If he dies, I die. Well maybe not physically, but the rest of me will.

"Um, Carter Mahone?" A nurse that looked in her mid 20's announced. I stood up from the cold hospital chair that I was sitting in. I personally don't like hospitals, and I never will. I don't like being in a place where countless people have died.

"I'm his cousin" I stated as she examined me.

"Well your cousin is in critical condition. It would be a miracle if he made through the night." She said while looking at her stupid clipboard.

What if he doesn't make it?

The nurse walked away still looking at the clipboard. Then Austin came rushing in through the hospital doors. His eyes immediately met mine.

"Why did you text me to meet you at the hospital? Are you okay? Where's Carter?" He asked. I just stared at him, trying to find the right words.

"Well, its about Carter" I managed to say.

"What about him?" His voice cracked at the end.

"Well he got shot at the air port and I came here in the ambulance with him a-and the nurse said it would be a miracle if he made it through the night a-and I'm sorry" I blurted out.

"Why couldn't you just call me instead of making me think one of you guys were actually dead!" He snapped. I flinched at the word 'dead'

"Well what was I suppose to do?! Just call you this late and say 'Oh hey sorry for calling you this late but your brother has a bullet in his chest, oh and by the way I'm in the hospital, just in case you wanna drop by but it better be soon because might not make it through the night'." I replied with so much sarcasm, that I could taste it.

"You know that's not what I mean" He replied more calmly. I just sighed and sat back down.

"Are you okay?" He asked me again.

"Yeah"

"You know that none of this is your fault" He assured me.

"I-" I started but I was cut off when my phone started ringing.

"Hello" I answered.

"Becky" I heard Brandon's voice on the other end of the line "Where are you? I lost you in the crowd. Are you okay?"

"Yeah I just took Carter to the hospital"

"WHAT?! Becky-" He started but I cut him off.

"Yeah I know I shouldn't have but I couldn't just let him die, Brandon. I can't lose someone that I really close with, not again..." The line went silent.