Part 23

It took forever to get to the hospital, the contractions were not consistent but when it hit it was much more painful. All through the drive Alex kept turning his gaze to me asking if I was okay. I kept nodding my head even though I wasn't. I felt my stomach and realized it had hardened a little bit. I was really getting worried.

Alex helped me out of the car and scooped me into his arms when we got to the hospital ignoring the fact that my pants were wet. I didn't have it in me to protest for him to put me down. He quickly rushed me towards the entrance taking long strides, with my arms wrapped around his neck for support. Another contraction hit in the process making me grip Alex's neck tightly.

"We here baby, everything will soon be fine" he cooed to me ignoring the fact that I was cutting his air supply.

We were met by two nurses at the entrance, asking what was wrong. Alex was kind enough to tell them my water had broke and that I wasn't due yet. They offered a wheelchair for him to put me in but he refused. One of the nurses directed Alex to an empty labor room down the hallway, he placed me on the bed as the other nurse came in with Doctor Jamil.

"What's wrong Zana?" he asked

"The baby, I think something is wrong. It's not yet my due date" I wailed out to him.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Alex filling in a form the nurse handed to him. Doctor Jamil proceeded to check me and ask me questions about when my water broke and how far apart my contractions where.

"This evening around 6:43. And I didn't really time them but I think 13 minutes apart. Is everything okay?" I worriedly inquired.

"Everything seems fine, you are in your 37th week and it's normal for most women to go into labor. Nurse Judy here will help you get changed and time your contractions. I will be back later to check your dilation"

Just as he left another contraction hit me making me grit out my teeth, letting out a little scream, it took a while before it subsided. Alex excused himself as the nurse helped me change into a hospital gown and slip a tag unto my wrist. He returned shortly looking anxious and nervous, he stood at the entrance watching as the nurse helped me get out of the bed and bend over it, saying it was going to help with the pain.

"If you don't mind sir, you can help by rubbing her back when another contraction hit. I have already timed the last one so just check the watch when another one hits" she said to Alex with a smile.

The nurse left after that to go do God knows what, leaving me alone with Alex.

"You need to call my Nana, and Kyle. Please call my Nana for me first" I pleaded with him.

"Alright" he took out his phone and dialed away. I patted my lower back as if that would help with the pain.

"Hi mum, is Zana's grandmother with you?"

"Can you give it to her, Zana wants to speak with her"

"Ermm Zana went into labor, but everything seems okay."

"I didn't do anything to her, just give the damn phone to her grandmother."

"Fine, whatever."

He handed the phone to me as my Nana's voice filtered through.

"It's happening Nana and I'm so scared" I cried into the phone before my Nana could ask how I was.

"Everything will be fine child, I know you in pain but it will all be worth it when you hold your baby in your arms for the first time."

"What if he doesn't make it, how I wish you were here."