XXII. The Labyrinth

|| Author's Note:

I'm sorry for the delay in this chapter. It was difficult for me to write, and I expect it will go through some editing in the future. I didn't want to keep you all waiting any longer, however, so here it is- the final challenge in the Competition. ||

- Hades -

Zeus had outdone himself this time.

I glanced at the elaborate maze as several shades helped me with my armor. We had no way of knowing what lay inside those stone walls of the maze, and I wasn't about to be caught unprepared. Around us where the rest of the champions working to get ready- but I could tell many where uneasy.

My eyes flickered to Apollo where he stood at the ready, the armor of the Sun God glistening in the sun. I snorted, glancing at my own obsidian black armor. We couldn't be two more different pictures, and yet we were both fighting for the same girl.

Kore. I turned my head towards the box where a picture of beauty sat. I could tell even from this distance that she was nervously eyeing the maze, and knew her hands were probably twisting and playing with the fabric of her skirt- a nervous tick she had.

My heart tightened. I had been fortunate to win the chariot race, which gave me a ten minute head start into the maze- but would it be enough?

I didn't know what I was going to do if I lost. My grip on my sword tightened as Kore's eyes met mine. Losing wasn't an option, I reminded myself. I had to win- for Kore's sake, and for our future.

We stayed that way for a moment, staring into each other's eyes as mutual feelings of fear and panic flowed between us. The moment ended too soon, however, when Zeus stood and cleared his throat.

"Champions!" He called out, his voice booming around the maze. "You have arrived at our final task today- the Labyrinth of Olympus. Inside you will face several challenges as you work your way to the center. However," he continued as he glanced over us, "You will have to rely upon your own wit and strength. Once you enter this maze, your individual godly powers and talents will be stripped away."

A murmur rose from the group. I wasn't surprised- this was Zeus's chance at humiliating us as well as holding some entertainment- but I could tell it was a surprise to everyone else.

Everyone else, that is, except Apollo. I eyed him suspiciously as he remained completely calm. His eyes were fixed on Kore, and it made my blood boil.

I took a deep breath, forcing myself to pay attention. I couldn't let that ridiculous boy get under my skin before the challenge had even started.

"As winner of our first challenge," Zeus continued, gesturing towards me, "Hades will be first into the maze, and given a head start. My eyes met Kore's yet again, and she offered a weak smile. I gave one back as I tightened my grip on my sword. It's almost over, love, I thought as my eyes turned to the opening door of the maze.

A gong sounded, and I started into the maze. I intended to make the most of my time, but I knew rushing in was just asking for problems. As I rounded the corner of the stone walls, the sounds of the celebration started to fade. As a test, I tried to summon a shade.

No luck. My powers really had been limited. Godly strength seemed to remain, and I betted my basic powers of speed and endurance had as well, but everyone had those same advantages.

I had been walking through the maze for five minutes, trying to map out my turns in my head as I worked my way to the center. I turned around a corner to my right, however, and was immediately greeted with an ear-piercing scream. Something swung at me, and I immediately ducked and rolled out of the way.