V. Apollo's Plea

- Aphrodite -

"Am I not the God of the Sun?" Apollo bellowed, throwing his arms out. He was on his feet, the dramatic god making his case as large and loud as he could. I tried not to roll my eyes- I loved my brother, but his dramatics were sometimes more than even I could handle.

"Am I not the God of Music, of Prophecy, and of Truth? I have fought many great battles, and serve each day to bring light to our world. After all this, I am not allowed the love and desire of my heart?"

He slammed his fist on the table, causing Artemis and I to startle. "Unheard of! Olympus never seen such blatant disregard and disrespect. A beautiful young goddess is brimming with power that, when combined with the power of the God of the Sun, would result in a magic and beauty unlike any other. And despite that, she is locked away on a forsaken island without a soul to speak to, sentenced to a life of studying and loneliness. Zeus, I have come to you as Kore's father and as our King. Surely there is something you can do about this matter?"

I scoffed from down the table, but the agitated god paid me no mind, his eyes set on the stormy pair at the head of the table. Zeus sat on his golden throne, Hera at his side. He was quiet, brooding the subject.

Those at the table were not fools. Aphrodite, Athena, Dionysous, Posideon, Artemis, Hera, Hermes, and every major and minor god inbetween knew what my brother was like. He was the golden boy of Olympus, quite literally, and his arrogance and entitled attitude was subtle and cunning, easily hidden by superficial appearance and charm. It was not hard to see, at least for me, that this love Apollo supposedly had was more obsession than love, and a desire to own something as mysterious, elusive, and beautiful as the Goddess of Spring.

I loved Apollo, but he was fighting a losing battle.

Zeus, however, was still mulling the issue over. I studied the god, wondering what was going through his mind. I could take a decent guess: Keeping Apollo happy was usually best- but to anger Demeter, who controlled nature and earth, who's powers perhaps rivaled his own was always a foolish decision, and was why he didn't intervene before in how Kore was raised.

Not that he didn't love his daughter. The immortals had an odd way of viewing relationships on Olympus. Zeus knew that loving those inside the immortal circle was the best way to ensure power and growth, and those lines often crossed siblings, parents, cousins, and any other relation you could imagine. But Kore was not a consort to anyone- she was sweet, innocent, and pure. Something that Zeus would, admittedly, usually call a worthy conquest- but not when it came to the daughter who doted on him on the chances she did get to see him. No, he didn't want to just throw her to just anyone, especially given her enormous power. This was why the competition was so vital- only the finest could succeed.

Apollo's words from the last time they spoke, however, still struck a nerve in Zeus, and rattled him to his bones. As he lifted his head to speak, I finally decided it was time to intervene, giving a delicate cough to interrupt the deliberation.

I stood, my gown gracefully falling around my figure. To Zeus, Hera had once told me, I appeared as his wildest dream: my hair was waist length, deep brown, and fell in delicate waves. My eyes were a brilliant green, and my figure petite and inviting.

I hate being objectified as the next girl, but sometimes beauty and charm had its perks.

I smiled, the picture of heavenly grace. The others on the table turned, each seeing their own version of perfect beauty start to speak.

"Dear ones," I started, my voice like velvet. "We are committing the same crime we have reprimanded Demeter for. Zeus, can you truly decide this girl's fate of who she should love before even speaking to her?"

My eyes flickered around the table. "Kore is far past the age of being able to make one's own choices, as we all know, and is a powerful goddess. I suggest that she be given her choice of worthy and willing gods as we have discussed, and continue forward with the competition.

I watched in amusement as Apollo's jaw ticked. He hadn't counted on my interfering, especially since I typically let him do whatever his heart desired.

This one was personal, though.

I wasn't born yesterday- I knew exactly what Apollo was thinking. The competition seemed worlds away, and he wasn't a patient man. The idea of other gods aiming to compete didn't unnerve him, but the fact I seemed to be fighting against him did. If he went down and rescued Kore from that awful island, he'd seem like a hero and savior to her, and she would easily fall for him. Waiting meant uncertainty.

Hera tilted her head towards zeus. "I agree with Aphrodite...but it seems this boy is too impatient to wait so long," she noted to her husband.

Zeus's eyes shifted back to Apollo, suddenly twinkling. There was some fun to this game now, and such a competition and choice should be accepted as fair. It was a chance to show the gods that, yet again, his word and decision was law. He would not back down on the competition. I suppressed a smile- Apollo had much to learn still about manipulating this court.

"Very well, Apollo," he started. "I accept Aphrodite's point- we must continue with the competition. But since you have asked, you will be given your initial chance to introduce yourself before the official start day. You must go to the Fates and gain permission to enter Hagneia- if you are refused, you must gain access through the Underworld with Hades' permission."

Zeus knew one was as unlikely as the other. Hades and Apollo had never gotten along well.

"Once there, you give news of the competition to Kore, and give her the list of those competing. Be warned, Apollo- the island is closely locked and guarded, and any mistreatment or unwanted advances towards the girl on the island will result in its rejecting you. This game has high stakes." Zeus finished with a smirk, wanting nothing more than to see the arrogant boy knocked down a few pegs.

Apollo mused it over, hiding the face of frustration with the heavenly smile he was so famous for. "Thank you, Father," he replied cheerfully, giving a bow. "If you'll excuse me, there is much to be done."

I watched Apollo saunter away, my lips pulling into a frown. "Zeus, you know the Fates would not allow Apollo in to Hagneia once they look into his heart," I commented, my eyes flickering to the bemused king. "And if he enters the Underworld with that attitude, I highly doubt Hades will be accommodating."

Zeus grinned, twirling his goblet of ambrosia in his hands. "Come now, Aphrodite- it's all part of the fun!"
**

 "Come now, Aphrodite- it's all part of the fun!"**                       

******A shorter chapter, but I hope you liked it

******
A shorter chapter, but I hope you liked it. ❤️ What do you think of Apollo? Do you think Aphrodite's heart is in the right place? What do you think will happen when Demeter finds out what's going on with Kore and Hades? 🙈

Thanks for your reads and input. Love you all!