Chapter Fourteen

Much to my utter annoyance, when I arrived home later that evening there was a large limo parked right outside. I paused, just watching the scene for a moment. I'd forgone my ride this morning, since I couldn't practice with a broken wrist I had to get my exercise where I could, which meant I didn't draw attention right away.

Or least, not attention that mattered, I corrected myself when I caught sight of one of the guards milling around, his eyes settled on me. I waved him off with one hand a second later, the person I'd been looking for being spotted out of the corner of my eye.

His red hair was a bit of a tip-off.

Leaning against the backend of the limo with a rather pissed-off look on his face, was Ren. I almost started laughing at the typical rebel look he had going on with his dark jeans, tank-top, and dark sunglasses. Was he trying to look like a moron or was it just natural to him?

Okay, perhaps I had a bit of a grudge, but could you blame me? Not only had the incident at the tournament been partly his fault, but now, because of the part that was his fault, I now had to deal with having him living in my house. It was like he was attempting to screw up my life without even knowing it.

After a few minutes had passed, I glanced at my watch with a frown. If I stood there forever waiting for him to go inside I might end up arriving home late. Uncle didn't put up with that sort of thing, and he definitely wouldn't put up with it in the mood he'd been in since the tournament. Taking a deep breath, I tucked my cast behind my back and started towards the house. It wasn't until I'd reached the driveway that Ren caught sight of me.

"... no way."

Ignoring him, I kept walking, my school bag tucked over my left arm. I might have managed to make it if not for the fact that while I was moving at a normal pace in an attempt to seem as if his presence didn't bother me, Ren had no problem with running forward to join me.

"How the hell did this happen?" he demanded, reaching out to grab my arm.

I tore it away and shot him a glare that I don't think anyone who knew me anymore would have guessed I could give. Ren put up both hands, his expression a mixture of astonishment, amusement, and something I couldn't place.

"I don't know, why don't you go ask your father," I retorted. "I'd much rather you be there than here. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to let... Otou-san know I'm home."

"Otou-san?" he echoed. "Wait, let me get this straight. I knew you were a Morioka, but I didn't actually connect it. You're one of those Moriokas?"

"I knew you were a moron, but I didn't really connect it. You're that much of a moron?" I replied, not bothering to hide my annoyance. "Again, if you don't mind."

I pulled the front door open hard enough that it swung back and hit the wall when I released it. Ren eyed it warily and I rolled my eyes in response. Leaving him behind, I stepped inside and started down the hall. If he'd been waiting outside, then surely there was a reason for that, one which would hopefully keep him there.

Unfortunately, it only took me a second to realize Ren had followed me in.

"So, a Morioka, huh?"

"I think that's been established."

Ren laughed, then jogged ahead of me. Scowling at him, I stopped and raised a brow.

"What?" I demanded.

"I heard that Harou-san adopted a daughter, but I thought she was supposed to be... you know, lady-like."

"Are you stopping me to insult me?"