Hazel

Lucy in the sky with diamonds? More Hazel in the woods with Americans.

HAZEL: Will was having a meltdown.

Pacing, cursing, stressing, all of that and more. He wasn't feeling particularly enthusiastic about the dance. His pride said otherwise, but I knew he was nervous about going with Nico.

"This tux barely fits!" Will exclaimed. 

"It looks fine, Will." Annabeth reassured.

"Fine, fine? Fine is simply rolling out of bed and running a comb through your hair. I can't just look fine!"

"Pfft, whatever drama queen. I need to go with the other prefects and set up the ball. I'll see you there." Annabeth left.

Great, it was up to me to calm him down.

"What's really going on, Will?" I asked.

"What's going on is that I need a cologne that doesn't smell like a middle school boy's locker room. I need a spell that will get rid of this stupid zit. And I need a tux that perfectly fits!" He said, continuing to tug downward on his sleeve.

"You smell great, I assure you. Your tux looks just right! And as for that zit...what zit are you even talking about? Your face is as clear as a blank sheet of paper."

He sighed, taking a seat on the sofa.

"What's really bothering you?" I sat beside him and placed my hand on his knee. He rested his head on his fist.

"I'm going to the ball with another guy as my date, that what's wrong."

"Elaborate, what bothers you about that?" I asked. He scoffed.

"It's not about me--it's about how bothered other people will be. I'm a decent student, I'm a good quidditch player, I have a fair amount of friends..."

"Wow, you're so humble too."

"Shut it, what I'm saying is that I'm not exactly the kind of person one would exact to go to the ball with another guy."

I rolled my eyes.

"What other people think of you is their problem. If they decide to stereotype others, then that only shows how awful of people they are, it says nothing about you. You simply going to this dance with Nico isn't meant to be a statement, but it can make future dances for relationships like yours easier for future generations. Think about it, Will. Imagine a future where anybody can ask whomever they want to a dance and the only concern is if the DJ is going to play good music, or if the punch that's served isn't watered down. Imagine a future where people can dance with whomever they want, not worrying about getting a second glance. You going with Nico tonight is so anybody can go with anybody tomorrow! Do you get what I'm saying?"

He sighed. Typical, self-pitying Solace.

"If you can't go to the dance for yourself, or even for Nico, then you should at least do it for others. You can't possibly be self-centered enough to think that you're the only person attracted to the same gender at Hogwarts. If others see you two, they may get the courage to dance together as well."

He took a moment to think, then he finally sat up.

"Okay, I think I'll do it."

I smiled.

"Great."

***

Will sat and combed his hair, getting ready for the dance along with the rest of the Hufflepuffs in the common room except for me. I had considered going to the ball, but not having a date wouldn't be very fun.