Ch.26

"Do you hear that?" Azariah asked as he kneeled besides Mishka. I as well kneeled besides Mishka, waiting for a command from him.
We had continued walking for a whole day and now, we were hiding behind tall bushes peeking through to see the faint shadows up ahead of us. It was already in the evening but Mishka had suggested to wait until night to make any further movements.

"Sounds like a caravan? Right? Mishka?" Azariah asked.

"It is a caravan. You can hear their distinctive music," Mishka said as he stood up and walked away from the bush. He stretched his arms up in the air and sat down criss crossed besides his bag.

"What's a caravan?" I asked as I peeked through the bushes. I could see people moving around below from where we were. We stood right on the top of a hill, the "caravan" as they called it was right below the hill.
We could perfectly see movements but it was just plain impossible to see faces.

"Isn't that where you got me from Mishka?" I asked as I turned to face him.

"Got you? Ah. Yes, yes I did," he said but when he did, he turned to Azariah and widened his eyes. Once he noticed that I had seen that, he turned back to me and smiled.

"Those people travel everywhere-"

"They have special permission to do as they wish, is what Mishka was about to say," Azariah said as he interrupted Mishka.

"Yes, yes. That is what I was about to say indeed," Mishka said as he playfully narrowed his eyes at Azariah.

"They do what they want, and when they want it," Azariah continued.

"Why so?" I asked with curiosity.

"The king has a sweet spot for them you see. The laws are for everyone but for them, they have special permission directly from the King himself," Mishka added.

"Shh! Mishka? Did you hear that?"
Azariah said as he stood up and kept his eyes on the bushes and trees around us.

"Wh-"

"You!" a man yelled as he appeared from the bushes, few men behind him with torches.

Mishka pulled me by the wrist, keeping his arm around me at all time. Azariah was ordered to keep his hands in the air as a man approached him from behind.

"Who are you?" the tall man with a big belly asked. He was even taller than Mishka.

"We're travelers, like yourself," Mishka answered as he got his staff and leaned on me as he stood up.

"Is that right? Then why didn't you join us lad?" the tall man said as he started to laugh. He had brown hair and a big pointy black beard. It had few strands of grey hair in it, on both his beard and the top of his head. Overall, he was a well rounded man.

"Our apologies. We didn't know if we would be welcomed," Mishka said as he pulled me closer to him.

"Come! Come! Move aside boys, they're one of ours!" the man yelled as he leaded the way. Two men grabbed the bags we carried and waited for us to follow the man with the beard. They all had tannish skin but their eyes were incredibly green.
That much green that it almost even glowed... glowing green eyes? I stopped for a bit and looked at their eyes.

"Aziza?" Mishka asked as all of the men walked passed us, even Azariah continued to walk among them.

"I really don't like the color of their eyes," I whispered to him.

"Why not?" he whispered back, a curious look on his face as he waited for an answer.

"They seem to almost...no. It's just me. Never mind," I said as I began to walk again, pulling Mishka by the arm.