Ch.24

"Cut the flowers like this then tie them carefully. Like this." Mishka held up a bouquet for me to see, turning it in all directions for me to analyze what he had done.

"Even when cut, they'll survive longer than expected. "

I nodded as I took the bouquet from his stretched out hand, amazed at how he had done it so fast.
He straightened into a sitting position on the ground, dusting off the few petals that lingered on his lap. We were walking in this area when he decided to teach me how he took care of the plants. We sat and haven't moved since then.

"Is there something you wish to ask?"

There was indeed something on my mind ever since we started walking but I just couldn't bring myself to ask him about it.

"Aziza? "

"No, it's nothing."

"Does it have to do with Randy, Adam and Kyle?" he said as he started a new bouquet, his eyes glued on his work.

"Are they your friends?"

He stopped what he was doing and leaned back, his arms supporting his frame.

"Acquaintances. We met not that long ago. They were visiting an old friend when I was delivering merchandise. Their friend, and buyer, was an old man, well not that old but he died around the time I saw him.
I believe his name was Val. "

I didn't realize I was unconsciously staring at him until he waved his hand in front of my face.

"What's wrong?" he asked as he came closer towards me and touched my hand.

"Mishka, please be careful."

"Careful? Of what?"

"Of those men. "

"You're terribly cold Aziza. "

I shook my head as I gently pulled away from him.

"Please." I whispered as I ran my hands through the grass below us. I didn't dare look up at him, it was already enough that he had agreed to letting me stay.

"Go on. I know you have a reason for thinking that way."

"Those men...it didn't feel right...something about their voices. I didn't like it."

"Well, it is true some people's voices are too high pitched for some-"

"Not that. I didn't mean that. Theirs just didn't seem...reliable."

"I've known them for a bit now, I don't think they'll cause any harm but I thank you for your observation. I understand what you're trying to say, I do. Don't worry, they won't take you."

"As soon as I heard them speak, I felt funny. My head started to hurt."

"Hmm..."
I looked up at him this time, catching him in thought as he looked up at the trees.

"I would like to see how that will turn out", he whispered before looking at me.

"Turn out?" I was entirely confused.

"Everything returns to its normal state, you'll see that for yourself later on in life. Even though it's unfair sometimes, it is also rewarding...in its own ways." He finished while smiling at me.

"Can I ask you something else?"

"You may."

"What does cut and patroned mean?"

"Excuse me?"

"Those men mentioned those words when they were talking to you."

He rubbed his neck before answering
"Well then, I'll start off from the beginning in order for you to understand. Everyone is free to do as they wish, no one except for the monarchy can make laws. The laws we have are simple but for sure they are mighty...ridiculous in my point of view. One of those laws is that every woman able to produce children should be literally "cut" in order to prevent her from having offspring. Only the Queen is allowed to have and say who has offspring. And patroned...unwillingly making someone yours, in every shape or form. Silly, huh?"