Chapter 46

Early Saturday Morning, May 5th

"Will she be okay?" My mother's soothing voice asks.

"She'll be fine. She won't remember the vision or what she learned from it." Another voice that seems oddly familiar but at the same time completely unfamiliar to me.

"But shouldn't we tell her? I mean for her own protection and our baby's." Tristan's strong voice asks.

"No, definitely not. The stress of what she learned could be devastating to the baby. Any devastating news could kill them both at this point. But if what she says is true and he really is back, then we must all use extreme caution. We mustn't let him achieve his goal, for the safety of all mankind." The same unknown but familiar voice tells them.

"Now if you will excuse me I must warn the Elders."

All the words turn to jumble in my mind. I really can't grasp the meaning of what anyone is saying. I feel extremely tired and groggy feeling. Like I just spent the last ten days and nights partying.

"Hmhm," I mumble as I try to come out of whatever sleepiness I'm in.

"Shhh Sophia. We're here. You are safe, just rest. Just rest..." As soon as he starts speaking I can feel myself drifting away again, but I don't want to go.

From somewhere far away I hear a man's deep voice whispering a spell, or at least that's what I think it is. As soon as the whispering stops I feel myself lose complete control over myself. I just slip right back into unconsciousness.

•••

I know for sure that I'm really waking up this time, unlike the many other times that I have woken up. I am allowed to actually wake up this time, I know this because I hear no whispering of a sleeping spell.

I don't know what has happened or why I've been forcibly put into a slumber. My mind is clear though, I understand what's happening rightnow.

I can feel the slow rise and fall of my abdomen as I breath in and out. I feel the movement of my child in my belly. And I feel a hand over mine holding it tight.

I can hear the breathing of someone else. Then the movement of people not in the same room as me walking past the door.

Am I in a hospital?

I'm not sure...it doesn't smell like disinfectant and cleaness like a regular hospital. I don't feel like I'm hooked up to anything.

I realize I could find out exactly where I am if I opened my eyes, but I feel like playing this guessing game of mine. It's helping me think, helping me to try and find out what is missing. Something is obviously missing since I can't remember anything that happened yesterday past lunch.

I wonder if I've been given a memory potion. It seems like the only natural conclusion since I can remember everything before lunch that day and everything since the first time I started to wake.

Why would they give me a memory potion? And who gave it to me?

I decide immediately that I won't ask these questions to anyone but myself. They wouldn't give me the true answers even if I did. Tristan, my mother, and my father wouldn't have allowed them to give it to me unless it was absolutely necessary. I choose to accept their judgment and just play dumb. I really would rather not remember what I've been made to forget.

So play dumb I shall. No one but me, myself and I will know that I know that I've been given a memory potion.

I will open my eyes and tell them what they want to hear so I can leave the Witch Village and just go home.

I'd rather fill my head with the trivials of getting ready for finals and finishing my senior year.And of course of trying to ready myself to become a mother.

I mean, how important can whatever I've forgotten really be?

~Sophia