31:: Sing Me to Sleep

Chapter 31:: Sing Me To Sleep

~Rhythm~

The ship rocked peacefully, anchor down and waves calm. The full moon light bathed the Going Merry in a silvery glow. The Straw Hats were resting peacefully, except for the few that roamed.

Sanji was in the galley, writing down some recipes and smoking a late- night cigarette.

Robin was in the crow’s nest, on watch with a book as a friend.

Chopper was in the boy’s quarters, measuring and mixing different herbs for medicine.

While I, was wide awake. I sat up in my bed, back resting against the wall. The four walls of the storage room was all that kept me from the cool night air and the colors of the world. My mind was spinning with what had happened these past few days.

The bandages on my shoulder had extended to my collarbone, chest, waist, hips, arms, and eyes. The throbbing pains from the wounds were nothing compared to the gaping hole that Sano tore in my heart. He had so happily forced his way through my little bubble of steel years ago, making me smile and trust him. And the day after I finally gave into him, he ripped up that trust. He tried to kill me with the same hands that had caressed me and showed me to believe in him. Stabbed me with the sword he weld to protect me and millions of others.

But in the end, I realized it was how it was supposed to be. Fate wanted to make me stronger, to show me not everyone was as they seem to me.

Well you know what, Fate? Suck it. You’ve driven my life downhill, and when I finally found a rope to pull myself up, you had nails and glass shards imbedded in that rope to make me let go.

I can still jump. No one’s going to kick me like that.

I drew my knees to my chest, the pain medication Chopper gave me slowly wearing off.

I couldn’t sleep. I wanted too, with all my might. But all I got was swirling images that I wanted to forget for the time being, and drift off to Candy Land.

I dipped my head low, chin to my chest and hands wrapped around my knees. The waves gently rocked the ship like it wanted me to sleep, like a mother rocking her baby to sleep in its cradle. We were the baby, Going Merry was the cradle, and the sea is our mother.

And like a baby, they wanted a lullaby.

Sing me to sleep~” I sang softly. “Sing me to sleep~. I’m tired~ and ~, want to go to bed.”

Sanji in the galley rubbed his eyes and yawned, Robin in the crow’s nest cracked her neck, and Chopper in the boy’s quarter put down his vial and yawned. Everyone else, Zoro, Luffy, Usopp and Nami, snuggled deeper into their pillows and sighed softly.

Sing me to sleep~
Sing me to sleep~
And then leave me alone~
Don’t try~ to wake me~ in the morning, ‘cause I will be gone~
Don’t feel bad for me~ I~ want you to know~,
Deep in~ The cell of my heart~
I will feel so glad to go~

Sing me to sleep~
Sing me to sleep~
I just don’t want to wake up~ on my own anymore~
Sing to me~
Sing to me~
I just don’t want to wake up~ on my own anymore~

Don’t feel bad for me~ I~ want you to know~
Deep in~ the cell of my heart~
I really~ wa~nt to go~

Ooh~
Ooh~”

The Going Merry itself seemed to fall asleep at the slow lullaby. Sanji put out his cigarette, closing his book and yawning, getting too tired to work anymore. Robin tugged the blanket closer, eyes blurring and getting harder to focus on the book. Chopper yawned again, pushing aside his herbs and stuff. Luffy’s arm fell over the side of his hammock into Usopp’s face, which he sniffled and turned over. Zoro let out a loud snore and smacked his lips, as though dreaming of only the best sake while Nami smiled in her sleep and muttered, “Money”. I, myself, was getting sleepy, eyes getting heavier to keep open and the blankets around me felt too warm to resist.

Sing me to sleep~
Sing me to~ sleep~”

I want to finish this song. I need to. I can never leave a song incomplete.

Ooh~”

Sanji couldn’t take it. He rested his head into his arms and let the lullaby overtake him, sending him off to the All Blue of his dreams. Robin’s eyes were getting droopier, her head bobbing slightly to stay awake while Chopper didn’t make it to his hammock, falling asleep on the floor next to it. Deeper into sleep; the crew was slowly being overcome by Morpheus’s power.

Ooh~
Ooh~
There is another world~
There is a better world~”

Robin finally gave in, setting her head back and closing her eyes, drifting off into dreamland.

“Wow there must be~” I yawned and lay down, resting my heavy head on my pillow, “Mmh~ there must be~.”

My eyes closed, letting myself drift off to sleep finally.

There is another world~
There is a better world~”

Those were the last notes I uttered before I was finally out, gone like the rest of the Straw Hats.

My dreams and theirs, coming to life before our sleepy eyes. Luffy was the pirate king, Zoro was the world’s greatest swordsman, Nami had created a map of the world, Usopp was a warrior of the sea, Sanji found the All Blue, Chopper has found a cure, Robin knew the history, and I . . .

I found my dreams here.

AN: sorry it’s so short! You know, I wrote this a while ago. That bastard plot bunny jerked me out of bed at 2 AM and made me write this. I almost fell asleep at the keyboard. Those little fuckers . . . made me write a sleepy chapter when I wanted to sleep. During testing even, bastards . . .

I’m ranting now. I should really get to bed (one AM) but I feel . . . creative.

Those cunts . . .