8:: Rhythm's Past. The Man Who Changed My Life

The morning sun rose from the east, rays of golden light sprinkled on to the deck. Seagulls squaked to eachother, as the ocean currents swirling and twirling past eachother with perfect sync.

Peace.

That was the only word that could describe this morning. I sat in the bird's nest with Zoro, who was fast asleep, having just switched shifts with me. Sleep still hazed my eyes as I stood and stretched. The ocean's lullaby still sand through my ears, soft and promising great adventure as salt and sea filled my nose, along with wood and freedom. I looked down at my left hand, pulling down the sleeve. On my thumb, was a silvery ring with a complex swirling pattern that reminded me of ocean waves circling it. It was a gift from him. From the man that made me feel like a girl.

Sano.

He was a Marine, whom I met when I was 14 (he was 16) at Foosha Village, my hometown. His ship had stopped by my village, on there way to the Grand Line. At the Party's Bar, where Luffy and I always hung out to eat after Ace left. And I could remeber the day I met him like it was only 42 seconds ago.

*Flashback*

Luffy sat at the bar next to me, munching on some meet for lunch. The bar was mostly full, since it was Happy Hour. I had my head in my hand, as I picked at my food.

"You shoudl eat that before-" Makino said. Luffy's hand shot out and took my food and ate it whole in an instant. "Nevermind." she refilled my apple juice.

"Thanks," I said.

"What's got you down? Is it Ace?" she asked.

"Sharp, aren't you? Yeah. It just won't be the same. And now I'm left to deal with rubberhead here," I jabbed my thumb at Luffy.

"Cheer up. Think of it like this. Now you won't have to worry about Ace annoying you." Makino said, whipping a glass.

"Yeah, I guess." I sipped my apple juice.

"Makino!" a guy came to the bar, "the Marines docked here!"

"Here? Really?" Makino said.

"Marines?" Luffy asked through a mouthful of food.

"Stay away, Luffy. Or you'll get arrested before we have a chance to set sail." I pushed his head into hsi food.

The swinging doors swung open, revealing 6 Marines. Nothing major, just standard Marine officers in the white shirts, navy blue pants, boots, hats, and blue neck thingies. They sat down at a table as far away from the bar as possible

"Damn Marines." I muttered.

I didn't believe them and their so called "Justice".  They slaughter people who have no use to society then they get rid of them, making a "peaceful" world were everyone can live together in harmony.

Total bullshit.

A marine with shaggy dark hair peaking out from under his hat stood and approached the bar.

"Could I get some sake?" he asked Makino.

"Sure, hold on a second," she disapeared into the backroom.

He stood right next to me, towering over me and had lean, tan arms. He only looked about 16.

"You look like a Delilah to me. Am I right?" he asked, dark eyes bright.

I spat out my drink, "Hell no! How did you get a Delilah out of this?" I indicated to me.

Luffy spat to and laughed, "Delilah!"

I hit him on the back of his head, "shut it, Monkey."

"So then what is you're name, Delilah?" he asked.

"It's Rhythm. And this twerp here is my little brother, Luffy."

"I'm Hiracuze Sano. Future Admiral." Sano said smiling.

"Rhythm D. Jade. I'm gunna help Luffy become king of the pirates."

Luffy grinned and laughed, "yep!"

"Him?" Sano said, arching his dark eyebrows. He laughed, "how? You said it yourself, he's a twerp!"

I put down my glass, eyes shadowed. "He's a twerp to me."

"Right. You can't hurt a fly!" he laughed again.

"I really don;t apprietiate being laughed at."

"I'm lauging with you, not at."

 I laughed, "right. Well, I gotta go. Luffy!"

Luffy turned, a piece of meat dangling from his mouth, caught in the act.

"Let's go," I said.

He swallowed, "But-"

"Let's go, Luffy." I said sternly. I grabbed his hand and pulled him out, "Thanks Makino! Later Marine." The swinging doors swung shut behind us.

"Why'd we leave?" he asked, digging onto the meat he brought with him.

"I couldn't stand the Marines."

"That's a bit harsh."

I turned on him, "You should to, after what they did 7 years ago."

His eyes flashed. He knew. After that we stayed silent as we trekked through the forest.

_______________________________________________________________________________

"OI! Del- I mean, Rhythm! Wait up!" I turned to see Sano the Marine running up to me, out of uniform and in a button up shirt, mahogany tie, and dark jeans tucked into boots.

"Yeah, that's right. Say my name right and I won't have to pummel you," i turned and continued walking.

"Wait! Rhythm!" he caught up to me and smiled, "I was wondering if you could give me a tour, since this is someplace new to me."

"Ask someone else. I'm busy."

"How 'bout you point?"

"Okay," I pointed, "that's the dock where you take your ship and leave. Now I have to go." I started walking faster.

"Go where? I'll walk you," he said, keeping pace.

"I can walk myself."

"Hey is it something I said? I mean I won't call you Delilah anymore. I swear." I cut in front of me, making me halt.

"That's fine. I'm just not in the mood to talk." I started to go around him, but he cut me off.

"Hey you've been cold to me since. . . sometime ago."

"You're not very bright, are you?"

"I'm very bright!"

"See? made no sense. 'sxcuse me, gotta run." I tried going around again, but was cut off (again).

"Is it because I'm a Marine, and you little brother's dreaming of pirates?"

"He's not dreaming! In 3 years, we're going to leave this dump and travel the world, looking for adventure. And I'm going to do everything in my power to help Luffy become king of the pirates!"

He was dumbstruck. I took that chance and ducked into an alley and ran for it.