0.5

[daniel seavey]

the next day wasn't any better. in fact, she was just getting worse. they said her heartbeat is starting to weaken, and that it could stop at anytime. when they told me that, i couldn't help but break down into tears. elaina, the love of my life, my everything, could just die at any moment, and the doctors are just letting it happen.

i held her hand and just prayed to god that she would get better. i felt my phone buzz in my pocket, and it was judi's contact name. i wiped away one of my tears and answered it, but when i did, the twins' faces appeared on the screen.

"hi dadd- why are you crying?" eliza asked, seeming genuinely concerned.

"yeah, why are you crying? and where's mommy?" zach repeated.

"well, uh," i paused, not knowing if the twin should know or not, but them i decided that they're strong. they deserve to know, "mommy and i got in a car crash yesterday," i sighed, trying my best to look strong in front of the two people that look up to me the most.

"DID MOMMY DIE?!" zach shrieked, looking like he was about to cry.

"no buddy, she didn't. but she did go to sleep, and the doctors don't know if she's going to wake up again," i told them, exhaling deeply.

"can i see mommy?" eliza asked, and i thought for a moment about what would be best for them.

"okay, but only for a minute. but i need to warn you about something, mommy doesn't really look like mommy right now. she looks really different," i warned them, looking over at my bruised, cut, and injured wife in a hospital gurney.

"let me see mommy!" zach demanded, so i sighed and turned the camera over so they could see their mother inside of the hospital bed.

"hey baby, i know you can't hear us, but i have the kids on the phone. we all miss you. just know that i love you," i said, letting a tear fall.

"mommy! it's me, zachary!" zach said happily, but his face fell when he got no response from her.

"mommy?" eliza asked, but again, got no response.

"here, go back to grandma now. the doctors want to check in on mommy," i told them. they waved to me and ended the call.

i watched as the doctors came in and did their daily check in on elaina, before leaving and not doing a single thing to help her. the doctors are just letting her die. they don't care. it makes me so fucking angry, but i can't do anything about it.

i checked all of the missed texts that i had from the boys. they were all wondering what had happened and why i didn't tell them right away. i had the most texts from zach and jack. i decided to text zach and explain what had happened.

--

zach: daniel, i swear, answer your texts. i need to know if she's okay.

daniel: hey zach.

zach: oh my god, you finally answered. what happened?!

daniel: we were on our way to the market and there was the car coming towards us at an extremely fast speed. i tried to pull over, but it was too late and it rammed into elaina's side of the car. i walked out with a few cuts and a broken arm, but she wasn't as lucky. she broke her wrist, ankle, and hit her head extremely hard. she's in a coma.

zach: what have the doctors said?

daniel: they said her heartbeat is weakening and that it could just stop at any time. 

zach: so essentially, they're saying she's going to die?

daniel: exactly, and they refuse to do anything about it. they want to 'let nature go its way'.

zach: i can't imagine how hard this is for you.

daniel: you have no idea.

zach: can i tell the others? they're really wondering what's going on.

daniel: go ahead. just tell them that i may not answer texts or calls for a while.

zach: okay daniel, well i'll leave you alone. my best wishes go to you guys and her health.

daniel: thanks zach. i'll talk to you later.

--

i wiped a tear from my eye and sighed, kissing my beautiful wife's hand while she slept. i just can't imagine a life without her. she is my everything. i can't imagine a life without her.