Forty.......celebrations.......

Forty…..

I felt myself relax the moment I re-entered the main room of our chambers, milling around were five of the most important people in my life, Percy, Lucile, their other sister Claudia who I had not seen for many months, Troilus and of course Merlin. They all silenced the instant that saw me the two girls hurrying to embrace me.

“You look so lovely!” Claudia, some three years older than myself, told me enviously. I blushed furiously but she would not listen to my modesty. “You do Nim believe me!”

Lucile smiled at me and added more embarrassing praise, “to think I first saw you at five years old! You were so small and scared! But as strong and brave as a baby lion! And now look at you; you’ll be a young lady before I know it!”

“Aye don’t be deceived!” laughed Troilus from across the room, “you wait till she has a sword in hand she’s definitely a lioness then!”

“Well right now she looks like a princess,” Claudia replied stubbornly irritated that the uncouth solider was eroding her compliments.

 I moved to greet Troilus properly and was surprised to find that he gave me a rough and somewhat awkward embrace. Withdrawing he said quietly with a twinkle in his eyes, “You wait till you see your birthday present!” I was about to question him excitedly as well as chide him for bothering to get me a gift when Arthur entered.

“Hello everyone!” he grinned raising a hand in welcome as he appeared from Merlin’s room fully washed and dressed.

“Ah we may begin now that everyone is present.” my uncle said with a grin, “let’s eat first and then what else is in store for us!” obediently we all sat, my uncle at the head of the table to one end and I at the other . I felt so stately and important that I couldn’t help imagining that the gathering was some great feast held in the grand hall inside the castle itself. In comparison to what we were used to our meal may as well have been a great feast, none of us had ever consumed so much food at one time, except for my uncle who as the kings advisor did attend such celebrations as I was dreaming off.

To Merlin’s right sat Troilus and to his left Lucile, beside Lucile sat her sister and beside Troilus sat Percy. Arthur sat to my right. Despite being a tiny party we all soon engaged in deep conversation, which grew louder by the minute especially as the adults drank beyond their fill of wine. Leaning towards me the young prince said quietly, “Nimue you look really lovely.”

I scowled at him, “stop taking the mick out of me!” I hissed back feeling vulnerable in my unusual attire.

“I was being perfectly sensible.” he replied sitting back and returning to his meal looking a little affronted.

Once all the food before us had been happily devoured my uncle, now far less sober but still entirely within his wits called for us all to be seated on the comfortable chairs in the room so that we could proceed onto the gift giving.

Feeling all at once incredibly nervous I sat, as directed in the armed chair beside the fire. The other chairs and stools had been dotted around in a rough circle so that everybody could see each other, more accurately so that everybody could see me!

“First off I think we should all start by saying happy birthday to our dear Nimue!” declared Merlin holding up his glass. everyone followed suit and intoned, “to Nim!” they then proceeded onto a round of ‘happy birthday’ sung by my uncle in his slightly alcoholic state in his finest Latin causing us all to laugh hysterically at him.

“I want to give you your present first!” declared Claudia, “well it’s from Lucile, Percy and I really, but I want you to have it.” She then handed me a small package containing a beautiful knitted scarf, warm and immensely practical in my favourite colour, midnight blue. I thanked all three of them gratefully embracing them all in turn.

I sat back in my seat and Troilus stood up his eyes dancing, “I have hidden yours so you could not see it and guess, I will go fetch it but you must close your eyes as it is not wrapped.” utterly intrigued I shut my eyes while everyone else in the room whispered and speculated causing my excitement to grow with every word.

Within moments I felt a surprisingly light object placed in my hand, I knew Troilus was still holding it as it did not over balance. “You may open your eyes now!” he laughed.

I gasped, Troilus had given me my own bow, prior to that day I had used an old one of Percy’s brother from when he was young, but this one was mine, perfectly designed for me.  “She’s beautiful” I signed as my hands caressed the carved wood, “thank you so much Troilus, where ever did you get it from?” I asked suspecting that it had been created for one of his own men who had found it inadequate.

“I made it specially for you Nimue, you deserve a weapon of your own, discard those borrowed, those not made for your own hands and take hold of this one, I don’t think your miss many times with her.” he winked and I knew he was adding silent praise for my ever increasing bow skills. Flinging my arms around his shoulders I thanked him again and again until everyone was laughing and insisting I moved onto my next gift – Merlin’s gift.

 After my new gown and the screen I did not expect anything more from Merlin so when the carved wooden box that I had spotted early reappeared in front of me I became incredibly curious.

It was ornately carved with triskel in a roundel in the centre and the edges were patterned with guilloche borders. Lifting the lip I found it was lined inside with rich purple velvet and nestled within its folds was a pedant on a silver chain, the pendant – topped also with silver, was a shining clear pear shaped crystal as I held it a current seemed to flow from it to me and I shudder involuntary. “It is…” I paused stuck for words as a simple piece of jewellery it was exquisite, light danced off its many perfect facets sending rainbows of light dancing around the room but to me it was something more. Something which embodied my whole being, or so it seemed. 

                Merlin nodded understanding completely; we would talk about the gift later that evening when our guests and the sun had gone leaving only darkness and candle light in which to discuss the mysteries which occurred daily for the pair of us. “Thank you uncle.” I whispered softly determined that my friends should not think me ungrateful and ensuring that they did not become suspicious about the seemingly ordinary though beautiful object. I embraced him and then proceeded to hug everyone else all over again.

                “Thank you so much everyone, for everything this has been the best birthday ever!” I declared not knowing that my twenty-first would hold so much more meaning.  Turning to my uncle I added, “thank you so much Merlin, I really have never had a birthday like this!”

                Grinning he replied, “Don’t thank me my dear, it was all Arthur’s idea. He sorted the whole thing.” The room went silent and all eyes turned to the young prince who had remained quite for tthe majority of the afternoon simply observing the party with a calm contentment.

                “Thank you.” I murmured staring at him utterly surprised that he had remembered my date of birth let alone organised the whole gathering.

                Shrugging it off as if it meant nothing he replied, “it’s your birthday we couldn’t leave it uncelebrated could we?” with his rhetorical question hanging in the air Merlin struck up three cheers for him and the whole joyous party joined in. Everyone except Troilus left shortly after but the solider stayed with my uncle and they continued drinking. Arthur settled down with a book and I followed suit only to find myself peering over my pages at him almost constantly filled with a great sense of thankfulness, intense happiness and something else I did not recognise.