Sixty-Four...Admittance...

Sixty-Four…Admittance…

My mouth hung open for a long time until I thought to shut it. Arthur had just admitted to me that which I had prayed for and hoped for against all odds since I had discovered that my feelings ran deeper than mere friendship. He had said the words, or had he? I asked myself beginning to panic. Being dear to him did not necessarily mean he loved me, but it sounded pretty dam close to a declaration.

            ‘Nim?’ Arthur asked tentatively, stepping towards me.

            ‘Arthur,’ I responded, my voice barely above a whisper.

            ‘Nimue, I love you.’ He continued, closing the gap between us. ‘And I would like to know; do you love me too?’

            Heart in my throat I could barely muster the strength to answer, ‘Nim?’ he repeated after my moment’s silence. A relieved and joyful smile spread across my face, starting from my eyes.

            ‘Yes Arthur,’ I replied quietly, ‘I love you and I always will.’

            The remaining space between us disappeared instantly as he took me in his arms in a loving embrace, burying his head into my hair and inhaling deeply. He murmured my name into the waves of curls and I answered in kind, into the strength and warmth of his chest that I was snuggled up against. We stood there, entangled together for a long time, and when we drew apart I was flushed red with joy and his expression was one of elation.

            ‘How long?’ I asked quietly as we stood there, now apart but barely, hands clasped within ones another’s, both of us staring down at them in wonderment.

            ‘Since the day you tripped over your own two feet in the great hall,’ Arthur admitted almost silently, ‘that afternoon you revealed to me the first layer of you character, I admired you instantly, your fierce determination, your courage, it was not until a year later that I discovered my admiration had developed further. But I wrote it off, we were young, I thought it foolish and I had little understanding how later it would be. Now, however, it has been clear to me for at least a year that there shall never be a woman who I love as I love you, for you Nimue complete me and hold me fast against the storms ahead.’

            I looked up at him adoringly, ‘Arthur I have waited so long to hear you say those words.’ I whispered.

            ‘And you?’ he prompted, gazing down at me tenderly.

            ‘At first I scarcely knew, it came upon me so steady and subtly that I found myself all at once in love with you without any knowledge of its coming. Arthur you are my first and only womanly dream, the only thing I desire which does not defy the expectations of my sex, the only man of my own age I have ever clapped eyes upon and not felt a single bit of fear, or distrust, I have only ever felt comfortable and free about you and we have spent so many hours of joyful adventure with one another that I felt no surprise at the arrival of my love for you.’ 

            His smile remained unwavering as he took me in his arms again. ‘I have never been so happy.’ He whispered.

            ‘Nor I,’ I breathed in agreement.

            We stayed in one another’s arms for a second, lengthy period of time both rejoicing silently in the revelations that had caused us both so much delight. However, Katherine interrupted us when she knocked on the door and said, ‘my lady, you are locked within you chamber is something the matter?’ concern was evident in her tone.

            Removing myself from Arthur’s arms I called back to her, ‘no, nothing is the matter, the lord and I have been in private council about some serious matters we shall be finished presently.’

            ‘Yes ma’am, when you have concluded Sir Ector wishes you to go to him in the hall.’

            ‘Tell him I shall be there shortly.’ I responded, the girl agreed and we heard her footsteps die away along the corridor and down the staircase.

            I laughed nervously, ‘well we had best be going.’

            Arthur nodded a thoughtful expression on his face. ‘Nimue,’ he began, fixing him with a humorous smile I dared him to continue. ‘When we go to Camelot…’ he trailed of, as what he was about to say really hit its mark. He had realised then and there that I, the young, unfeminine but powerful girl in front of him, was to be his wife by command of his own royal father.

            ‘Yes…’ I prompted, a beam creasing up my facial features.

            ‘When we go to Camelot you are to be the Lady Gwenivere…’ I nodded, affecting an air of exasperation and his obvious statement. ‘And so we are to be man and wife.’ He concluded slowly, his eyes sparkling as he gazed down at me in wonderment.

            Cocking my head to one side, I feigned a moment of surprise, and then burst forth with laughter. ‘Of course!’ I exclaimed, ‘your father bestowed upon me that name he cannot deny us!’

            Arthur shouted in celebration, sweeping me momentarily high up into the air and without thought planting a kiss upon my lips. Having suddenly realised what he had done Arthur became flustered and instantly lowered me to the floor but kept his hands about my waist, red faced with embarrassment. Laughing gleefully I flung my arms around his shoulders and returned the gesture.