Fifty-Five...Corridors and Chambers...

Fifty-five...Corridors and Chambers

Without another word on the subject Geoffrey led us up to the top floor of the stronghold. A long corridor ran down the centre of the upstairs space with numerous doors leading off of it in a surprisingly ununiformed way.

The men were divided into pairs and each shown to a room. Once they had each thanked the steward Arthur and I were left alone in the corridor. Geoffrey turned to us and said, 'right down the stairs and to the families apartments with you two.'

'The family apartments?' I questioned.

Geoffrey smiled, 'since Arthur moved away the fifth floor has been renovated and given over completely to the family and their closest guests. That is where you and Arthur will sleep whilst you stay.'

With that he took us to our own chambers. The rooms were beautifully decorated in contrast to the rest of the building which was in dire need of repair. My room had a large, luxurious bed in the centre against the back wall and tall, narrow windows were situated at either side. It was a four poster with tapestry drapes. The sheets upon the bed matched their pattern and looked thick, warm and expensive even from where I stood in the doorway. One corner contained a tall dark wooden cabinet, presumably for clothes, though I had nothing in the way of suitable dresses for our visit. Beside the bed was a small table with a candle awaiting to be lit once darkness fell. A fire place stood to my right, with a carved stone surround. Although the art was nothing in comparison to the beauty that could be seen in the state rooms at Camelot it did have a rustic charm. Triple hares bounding up each of the sides with a length of intertwined holly leaves across the lintel. Once I had been left alone I stared at it for some time, wondering at the ancient aspects of the design in contrast to the very Christian occupants of the household.

Before I was left to recover from the journey however a maid appeared baring my limited luggage. 'Katherine will be your lady's maid whilst you remain with us,' Geoffrey stated matter-of-factly, 'she will see to your every need, do not hesitate to ask her. Now I will show Arthur his rooms and will send for you both when dinner is on its way.'

'Thank you sir.' I answered automatically and thus Katherine and I were left unaccompanied by menfolk.

I cleared my voice awkwardly, 'Katherine I am not used to having a maid, there will be little for you to do I am afraid.'

'My lady I shall do all you ask, I shall wake you and wash you and dress you, serve you meals you wish to consume in private and help you in any way I can.'

I smiled genuinely, 'thank you Katherine, if you could fetch me so water and a towel to wash with I would be most grateful; aside from that I will not have need of you till we are warned for dinner.'

The girl nodded obediently, 'as you wish my lady,' and with that she hurried off to complete the task I had set her.

Within a very short time I had washed, having dismissed her imminently after she had brought the items I requested. I paced my new chamber, breathing in the fresh but unusual scent. A sheep skin rug lay out in front of the fire and I let my bare feet sink into it as I sat on the edge of my bed. Before leaving Katherine had showed to me the clothes Lady Drusilla had already provided for me inside the cabinet and once I felt clean and dry I pulled on a light white underdress. It was in this that I sat in on the edge of my bed, deep in contemplation when suddenly a knock on my door made me jump from my thoughtful place.

'Who is it?' I called out.

'It's me,' laughed Arthur. Skipping to the door I pulled it open and he walked in confidently. 'How do you like your room?' he asked, walking about it without looking at me properly.

'Its lovely thank you,' he turned to look at me then and stopped, staring. 'Arthur?' I felt an awkwardness descend. His checks reddened and he turned away.

'I didn't realised you weren't properly dressed.'

I chuckled, 'Arthur we've shared a room for years, I would have thought we were both pretty used to it.'

He laughed quietly, 'yes but now Nim you're a lady, you'll be expected to dress in a certain way, respond to words, actions and compliments correctly and follow precise protocol. Mother will be there to help you, and Uther and Merlin when we reach Camelot but things are going to change; at least whilst we're in public.'

I nodded, fully understanding his meaning and his wish to warn me. 'I know Arthur; it'll just take a little getting used to.'

He smiled, 'when we're alone though nothing will have changed, we can be as we truly are.' A shiver ran delightfully down my spine.