Forty-Five...The Princes Foolishly Hopes

Forty-five…

Arthur peered up at Trolius anxiously, ‘Why has my father left me waiting in this anti-chamber when he summoned Merlin and I here at once?’

            ‘He wishes to see you after I believe Sir,’ the guard replied with courteous detachment.

            ‘What’s going on?’ Arthur demanded unable to keep the fear from his voice. ‘You never address me like that Trolius! Please, what is going on?’

            ‘The Queen and Morgana have returned Sir.’

            ‘That changes nothing; they have come and gone many times without it affecting me.’ Arthur answered desperately.

            ‘I shall not speak out of term Sir, but this time change has been set in motion, you are getting older it is time you accepted the future, trust me.’

            ‘If they have finally decided that it is time I do not want it.’ He responded bitterly, bile rising in his throat at the thought.

            ‘You have been training for this since your arrival here, you are ready Sir.’ Trolius replied steadily, wishing he could feed the boy sweet lies to appease him.

            ‘I will not leave Merlin, nor Percy, or Tor…’ he trailed of, adding more quietly, ‘And I will certainly not leave Nimue.’

            Trolius allowed himself a small secretive smile of triumph, he had known of the pair’s attachment without a year of their training. The irony was that neither saw the reciprocation of the emotion and he was convinced that neither had known about their own depth of feeling for long. Trolius believed that love displays itself once its occupants reach a certain age even if the sentiments have been harboured strongly and unmoveable within the heart for years.

            To Trolius the outcome had been inevitable. ‘Lady Nimue will succeed her uncle, you’ll never have to be without her Sir.’

            Arthur chewed his bottom lip thoughtfully, ‘Does my mother still not know of my residence in Camelot?’

            Trolius hesitated, he knew the truth, he had been present at many a secretive meeting but he was forced to lie and agree with the young prince. ‘I believe so my lord.’ He answered, ever duty-bound to his king.

            ‘And my sister?’

            ‘Certainly not she Sir.’

            Arthur nodded, ‘I am glad of that for now; perhaps I can persuade my father to hold out a little longer.’ His friend made a sound of agreement although he knew it was completely impossible.