Fifty-Three...My Lady Mother...

Fifty-Three…My Lady Mother...

Our journey hurried on largely uneventful and easy going. During the day Troilus would coach Arthur and I in courtly expectations and formalities; subjects which he was rather well versed in due to how often he had guarded such occasions. Other moments Arthur would explain to me more about the North and about his adoptive family so that I began to feel as if I already knew them personally. And when evening fell we would practice our swordsmanship, archery and hunting with the men, eating the hearty game we have caught and listening to their stories of epic battles which had raged far beyond Camelot or before our time.

            Within a fortnight we were approaching the Sir Ector’s lands and on the thirteenth morning we reached the dark-stoned stronghold that Arthur had long been describing to me.

            We were immediately greeted by a servant who explained that we had not been expected for another two days and thus Sir Ector and Cei were out hunting with the men.

            ‘Is my lady mother not within these walls?’ Arthur inquired as he swung from his mount.

            The servant nodded, ‘yes my lord.’

            ‘Then take us to her for I dearly wish to see and speak with her. I have been deprived of her presence longer than that of your master and my brother.’

            Following the command instantly we were led inside, up the front stone steps that Arthur had described to me and into the lower of the two reception halls. Here the man sent a maid running to her mistress before we were led up once more into the main banqueting hall. It was rather like the main hall in Camelot but obviously smaller and a lot less grand. The tapestries were decorative but simply so and not so fine a quality. There were twenty chairs around the table but no dais and high seats. The lord here clearly ate and drank with his men.

            We waited barely anytime at all before Drusilla swept into the hall from a side door at the back of the room, which I found out later led to another staircase.

            ‘Arthur!’ she exclaimed joyously, hurrying toward him and embracing him. Arthur showed no touch of embarrassment but relished in her warm and motherly reception.

            ‘Mother,’ he laughed as they eventually drew apart.

            ‘Oh Arthur,’ she smiled, a tear of pure happiness falling down her check. ‘I have missed you as Ceres pinned for Proserpina. How I wished I could come with your father to Camelot to see you but there were great troubles here and someone had to remain to keep order.’

            As she spoke this welcome I became instantly intrigued, she was an educated woman, and her final words had suggested that she was warrior of one also. I warmed to her instantly.

            ‘I have missed you also mother,’ he replied whilst I made this observation, ‘May I introduce you to our company?’

            ‘Yes my son please do.’ She answered. Although I stood beside him Arthur started at the other end of the line. He walked her up to each man and introduced them by name and family, they bowed and kissed her hand whilst she smiled and offered them generic words of welcome. On reaching Troilus, who stood to my left, she beamed more brightly and replied most enthusiastically to his inquiry after her health.

            ‘I am well good sir,’ she answered gladly, ‘I cannot thank you enough for the safety, education and friendship you have offered to my son since his arrival in Camelot. There can be no better man of the sword in the city than you and I am so thankful for your precious time spent on Arthur.’

            Troilus glowed, ‘the pleasure has been entirely mine my lady, never has a boy excelled so fast and far from the level of skill he came to me with. He is indeed a talented young man, a tribute to your excellent nurturing of him I am sure.’

            Drusilla accepted this praise with a look equal to his own and answered, ‘I am glad to have you beneath our roof good sir, you must sit beside me at dinner this evening if you will. I would hear many of your tales of Camelot.’

            ‘If it is your wish it shall be granted my lady.’ Troilus answered bowing and raising her hand to his mouth.

            Then it was my turn. Bile threatened, rising momentarily in my throat. Although I already liked the woman in front of me I was afraid of her interpretation of me, knowing full well that Igraine felt no love for Merlin’s orphaned niece and worrying that Drusilla would take the same stance.

            Much to my surprise she took the exact opposite position of Arthur’s blood-mother. 

            ‘Nimue my dear!’ she exclaimed, before Arthur could introduce me.  She spoke as if we had meet before and were old friends, her warmth and genuine interest in my achievements quickly made themselves clear.

            ‘I have heard so much of you from my husband and in the letters your uncle and Arthur have sent to me over the years, I have so longed to meet you.’

            My cheeks flamed red, ‘And I you my lady,’ I replied formally, ‘Arthur speaks so much of yourself, Sir Ector and the North I could hardly contain my excitement at journeying here.’

            She laughed good naturedly, ‘do not address me as my lady, dearest Nimue. Please use Drusilla or mother; if you will. I intend that you and I shall be very close friends, for I shall know nobody of the higher circles on our return to Camelot and neither shall Lady Gwenivere. It will be a great comfort to me to know that you are there.’

            I blushed further and she continued, ‘you have been the closest companion to my son these last few years, and whilst I am so incredibly grateful to Sir Troilus for his education and protection I am even more indebted to you dear Nimue.’

            ‘How so?’ I asked sheepishly, feeling as if no one had done more for Arthur than Merlin and Troilus after him.

            ‘As I have said you welcomed my son into a city which he had no knowledge but all the rights in the world. You have advised him, worked with, celebrated with him, taught him, acted as a confidant, picked up his spirits when times were hard and cautioned his temper when it was required. You have done all that a friend can, caring and watching over him whilst I could not. How my knowledge of you has comforted me on so many precarious moments, even now you have journeyed away from home and into the dangerous North Country to be by his side and continued on your mission which I am told fate has laid out before you. Nevertheless some try to defy fate, some would have ran from the responsibilities, but not you, young as you were you took Arthur’s arrival in your stride and you have never failed him.’

            ‘And long may it continue.’ Troilus chimed grinning and inclining his head to Drusilla.

            ‘Indeed.’ She answered the truth of her deep, thankful emotions clear on her face.

            Arthur’s face had split into a beam as his mother sung my praises. He had feared her reception of me just as I had and the relief I saw in his face at that moment proved it.

            ‘My lady mother,’ I hurried modestly. ‘I cannot take all your beautifully worded praise. My uncle Merlin has been the greatest force of good in Arthur’s life and Arthur himself has been very good to me. You make our friendship sound one-sided as if he is ungrateful and I taken advantage of; but I promise you it is not so. Your son has been there for me in return in every sense that you have stated and has always proven himself a gentleman.’

            Drusilla continued smiling, but this time something seemed to sparkle in the depths of her thoughtful eyes. ‘I am glad to hear of it for I would be ashamed if he had acted anything other than a gentleman, towards a good and kind young lady such as yourself.’

      I blushed again, every comment she made about my personage was flattering and warm and full of genuine pleasure. I had never been so well treated by a true lady of estate before in my life and the whole experience felt unreal and wholly surprising.