Seventy-Seven...A Prince and A King...

Seventy-Seven…

Before dawn Arthur pulled his robes back over his long undergarments and snuck from my room whilst I was still asleep. He left a note on the pillow besides my head, it read:

I have returned to my rooms so not to arouse suspicion, do not fear I am alive and forever yours.

The words made my heart flutter slightly and I tucked that paper into my bodice so that I would be accompanied by his reassurance for the whole day.

Lucile came to me presently and brought with her a light breakfast, after we had eaten she helped me dress; my outfit for the day was even more beautiful than that I had worn for the recognition ceremony.

            ‘You look every bit a queen.’ Lucile commented lovingly as she straightened out the hem of the gown.

            I turned to view myself in the silver mirror and was shocked to discover that my dear friend was correct. My gown was deep crimson, to reflect Arthur’s own attire I discovered later, with delicate gold stitching at each hem. The circular neckline was lower that I had expected and the waistline tight to enhance my slender figure. I was then given a long cloak which trailed out behind me as I walked; this too was crimson and fastened by a gold tie attached to circles on each side. These fastenings were gold, and each had a delicate dragon engraved upon it. On later inspection I discovered that one dragon clasped a key in its talons and the other a lock, symbolising the union of marriage. Lucile had organised my hair so that a small part of it was pulled backward and kept together at the back of my head with a small gold pin, covered in the same pattern that decorated the hems of my dress.

            ‘You are going to stun them tonight,’ she grinned seeing my awed expression at my own attire.

            I sighed, ‘I should hope so Lucile, one day I may be their queen, then I must not demand but earn their love and respect, better to start early.’

            She laughed at my seriousness, ‘I know Nim that there are some who would plot against you but I believe you shall succeed the people will love you, see your goodness and praise you for your dedication to the king.’

            ‘Your unwavering confidence in me is flattering,’ I smiled and embraced her gently.

Arthur stood beside his father at the dais, a second great throne standing beside the kings awaiting its new occupant. In a third throne to the left of Uther’s sat Igraine, Morgana was nowhere to be seen.

            King Pellinore was the first to walk forward from the crowd and knell before them, he drew his sword, placed his hands upon its hilt and inclined his head before intoning, ‘I King Pellinore, son of King Pellam, pledge myself to you, Prince Arthur, first of Camelot. May your reign be strong and fruitful after your father had concluded his long and glorious kingship.’

            ‘Arise Sir and be welcomed into the heart of my friendship, I warmly accept you  into this court in the name of my father and myself, long may you rule the people of Listenoise and forever be our close friend and ally.’

            Pellinore rose, bowed and returned to the main floor of the hall. The presentations continued until every lesser king, knight and lord had pledged themselves to the prince. Once the men were done we women began our demonstrations of loyalty. Lady Drusilla went first; she curtsied low and took Arthur’s hand kissing the royal ruby ring upon it.