Seventy-Two...Time Had Come...

Seventy-Two…

Hours later after having spoken at length with Lucile about her brothers surprising revelation and the guilt I was then harbouring over my ignorance and rejection Drusilla came to call upon me, accompanied by two of her own ladies. With them they brought clothes delivered that morning by the king’s servants which we were to be presented in that afternoon. On each selecting a gown we proceeded to move to her larger chambers where we bathed and made ready.

            Eventually we were prepared for the evenings ceremonies and it was Merlin who came to inform us of our imminent departure to attend to the feasting.

            ‘You look beautiful my child,’ he welcomed me, ‘your dress is both of a high state and modest, a difficult to obtain but much needed style. I trust the Lady Drusilla has instructed you in the protocol for these festivities?’

            I nodded, ‘yes uncle, we will remain together as much as possible to ensure I don’t forget myself,’ I answered giving him a humorous smile.

            Merlin laughed, ‘I believe in you to make the right impression Nimue even though I know you shall be displaying a façade and not your own self.’

            ‘The façade is one I must learn well, that I am duly aware, I cannot fulfil my density nor my promises to you, the king or Arthur if I fail to convince people that I am the Lady Gwenivere of noble birth and gracious birth.’

            He nodded gravely, ‘it is unfortunate that this is the case; for your own true goodness, intelligence and loyalty should be enough to recommend your own self to any person.’

            Drusilla who had been listening with interest to our exchange agreed here and spoke her own mind on the matter. ‘Your uncle is without doubt correct my dear, for I have seen all three of these traits within you and many more besides which have demonstrated your worthiness to be the future kings councillor and we should hope, his wife.’

            I blushed, for such extreme notions of mine and Arthur’s relationship had not been mentioned in front of my uncle. He seemed troubled by the ladies words but I knew it was not in due to his disapproval of Arthur’s character but rather that he sensed there would be greater trails to come before I could happily take my place at the prince’s side. Merlin said nothing on the matter to the Lady Drusilla but I knew at some point in the evening I would be taken aside and warned.

            The three of us then made our way to the great hall where the trestle table had been removed and the chairs grouped about the edges of the rooms so that those who required it could take respite. As we entered the herald announced us.

            ‘Reintroducing His Wise Lord Merlius Ambrosias of the King’s High Council and Her Gracious Ladyship Drusilla of the North, accompanied by The Fair Lady Gwenivere of Lothian who graces Camelot’s Hall for the first time…’ he declared.

And so it began…