Thirty-five......Sir Ector....

Thirty-five……

Sir Ector turned to me but his words died on his lips. One look was all he needed.

                “I will see my son apologise to you child. All three of you come with me.” Meekly we followed after him, from the stables, up a set of side steps and into the castle. Cei dragged behind grumpily at first but on venturing inside he pushed his way forward so that he entered before us appearing more important and by extension suggesting he had done nothing wrong.

                Ector led us down one corridor, then another, up a flight of stone stairs along another set of labyrinthine corridors and then through a wooden set of double doors. The room was obviously the one Uther had set aside for his two guests, it contained a large four poster bed surrounded by heavy velvet red curtains embroidered with spirals and silver stars. A dark oak table was pushed up against the wall beneath the expanse window and rather than leave the chairs pushed close to it redundantly they had been grouped around the fire place. Beside Sir Ector’s bed a side table had been placed, a candle already resting on it ready to be lit come darkness.  Another room led from the larger one which contained a smaller, less grand bed and a small side table.

                “Sit down.” Sir Ector ordered calmly gesturing towards the chairs and Arthur and I took our seats immediately. Cei on the other hand sauntered across the room to learn against the table eyeing me with irritation but curiosity at his father’s interest.

                “How have you been, Arthur? Nimue?” his tone held concern.

                “Well father.” Arthur replied steadily. Then he looked across to me focusing on my bloodied nose and added more quietly, “But Nim is not.”

                Ector nodded walked towards to me and then crouched down beside my chair. Looking directly into my eyes he asked, “Nimue are you okay?”

                I felt my cheeks glow; I was not in huge pain but the bruises were beginning to grow and I could feel them aching. “I’ll be alright, honest.” Cei scowled.

                “Is there anything I can get you?”  His voice was so gentle, so caring; no wonder Arthur had loved his childhood father.

                I hesitated and then decided that I couldn’t do without, “please may I have some water please. A cup would be nice but I would like to be able to rid my face of this…this dirt. Would that be okay?”

                “Of course my dear that is the least I can do anything else?”

                “Well a cloth with which to wipe my face sir but apart from that I am fine, I thank you.”

                “Of course that goes without saying my dear.” turning towards the archway between the two separate rooms Sir Ector called out to a servant who I had not realised was present, out of sight and out of mind. “James,” the young boy appeared bowed politely and awaited his instruction. “Fetch a jug, bowl and have another bring up cups for water and for wine.”

                “Yes Sir.” with that he was gone and Sir Ector turned to his son. “Cei come over here now.” his voice became steely and cold once more.

                Grudgingly the son did as the father commanded and came to stand opposite us, his hands resting on the back of a large upright cushioned chair. Again as if he was addressing a child Ector asked rhetorically, “do you have something to say to Nimue Cei?”

                “I apologise.” he replied shortly.

                “That is not enough son, you have bruised and bloodied her you were in the wrong and I expect you to feel actual remorse and mean what you say when you apologise!” his voice rose as he spoke.

                We waited but Cei said nothing. A frown creased Ector’s forehead, “I thought you were maturing but I see you are not. Sit over there and do not join us again until you are ready to make peace.”

                “I am not a child father!” he shouted in reply.

                “Well you have certainly been acting like one!” That pushed Arthur’s foster brother over the edge.

Shoving his chair so that it fell to the floor with a crash Cei shouted, “I have not!” and stormed from the room in a flurry nearly knocking the servants over as they entered with the sent for water, bowl, cups, cloth and wine jar.

“Ignore my eldest son.” Sir Ector said waving his hand dismissively clearly embarrassed by Cei actions.

“I’m used to it.” laughed Arthur uneasily.

“Oh the household has missed you goodness Arthur it really has!” exclaimed Ector fondly.

The servant, James, stood forward unsure whether he should interrupt or not and coughed lightly, “Sir, the water, for the lady.”

“Ah yes thank you James, you” Ector turned to the other servant, “bring that table from aside the bed and set it in front of Lady Nimue, James you may put the bowl upon it once it is placed.” I flushed again, never had I been addressed as lady before, something I certainly would have to get used to in my future life.

The servants having done as bidden then proceeded to serve us each a goblet of wine and then were ordered to retire outside the room and await further instruction. Nobody was to be admitted to the chambers while we three spoke.

Noticing that I had drunk but not yet washed my face Ector bade me to do so, I passed my goblet to Arthur who placed in on the heath and attempted to cleanse my face. Without a mirror this was a difficult task and an awkward one as silence had fallen as I did so. Turning to Arthur I asked, “Is all the blood gone?”

He shook his head, “no there is still a little there.” he indicated the place on his own face but I failed to find it much to his amusement. Laughing he took the cloth from my hand soaked it in the bowl slightly and cleaned away the last of my drying blood.

“There.” he grinned leaning back, his hand still clutching the cloth, “all clean no one would suspect a thing.”

“Thanks” I smiled, before realising that Sir Ector was watching us curiously. “Sir Ector,” I addressed him politely, “How have you been? All of the trouble from the north which was terrorising you is gone, so I understand from my uncle.”

“Yes my dear, all calm now, peaceful all over my lands, expect for in my own house!” he laughed but appeared troubled.

“What has been the problem father?” Arthur asked lines appearing on his face.

Looking about him to ensure that no one was listening in Ector replied, “In short Arthur it is your brother Cei.”

“What is he doing?”

“Ever since we returned from Camelot he has been a terror!” he paused and added, “I mean he always has been but since your departure and his birthday he has been growing more destructive and violent by the day!”

“He has always been a warrior inside father.” Arthur returned wisely, “but is there anything you can do to cool his blood?” again he shot a concerned look at me, “I mean this time you and I were there to stop him, but any other time, other place, a different girl…” Arthur bit his lip knowing full well that I resented differences in attitude due to sex. But in this case I saw his point. If Cei had been but a little older, the place slightly more private and the girl less determined anything could have happened to her with terrible repercussions. I shuddered at the thought of what could have happened, what would have happened if the girl had not been me.