Thirty-seven......a disturbing meeting...

Dedicated to bouningrabbit who wanted this meeting so badly, I hope you like this :) 

Thirty-seven….

Princess Morgana Ann Pendragon jumped back with a scream before hurriedly collecting herself and fixing an expression of extreme superiority on her face although her eyes swam with fear.

“Who are you?” she demanded, clearly angry but strangely keeping her voice quite, what surprised me was that she had not yet called out to her guards. After all it was said Terrin was never far behind her.

“Milady” I replied graciously falling into a curtsey. Arthur was later on the uptake bowing clumsily. She regarded both of us with an air of contempt particularly Arthur who became unbalanced as he straightened himself and then found that no intelligent words would come to him.

“Forgive us lady; we must have taken the wrong turning.”

                “I should say,” She scoffed, “this passage is for myself, my servants and my guards alone nobody else.”

                Keeping my intrigue under lock and key and replied politely again, “we beg your apology milady we rarely come to this part of the castle and have easily been thrown of course.”

                She made a noise of disbelief and looked between Arthur and I suspiciously, “who are you anyway?”  There was a dangerous edge to her voice suggesting punishment may be in store for us.

                Swallowing nervously I replied, “I am Nimue milady and this is my cousin Arthur, our uncle is Merlin the Kings advisor.”

                Her eyes suddenly brightened with interest and knowledge, she did not seem in the least afraid of my uncle’s name unlike so many others. Even at that age some were afraid of me simply because of my direct relation to him and the rumours that I was to be trained in his skills so that I could hold his position after his death. I had not known where these words true but in my mind secret had been revealed.

                “You have come to my room before have you not?” Morgana asked eyeing Arthur with more interest than before, perhaps she believed she had some admirer from the peasantry, he was not old enough then to be such and despite being a princess she was certainly not yet mature or beautiful enough to be an object of true admiration and desire. Still it is typical of those higher born woman and even members of the day dreaming lower classes to imagine themselves in love or beloved by handsome young men before their age is right. Arthur was attractive physically of that there was no doubt. Since moving to Camelot Arthur had grown stronger by the day and had begun to lose his childhood roundness, however little of that there had been it still made a difference to his outward appearance. His hair had lengthened and appeared healthier than before, his previously slightly pale face had brightened and his eyes held more laughter and happiness than before. I noted all these changes in those first eighteen months and felt my heat glow. There was hope for the future of our kingdom after all, when I had wondered who would rule after Uther I had been filled with apprehension but within a relevantly short amount of time Arthur had proved he would make a fine king with time and a little further education.

                “Yes milady.” Arthur replied hoarsely, “on errands for Merlin.”

                “Funny for Merlin never mentioned you the mornings after you attempted to visit me and so it appears I was right not to allow you into my chambers.” her eyes sparkled with mischief, “Imagine what could have happened if I had!”

                I fought the urge to vomit, gods if only she knew who she was talking to! Her own brother! I cringed visibly as Arthur struggled to find a reply to the disturbing insinuation. At just coming eleven Arthur was not ready to contemplate such doings with any girl and no man would ever accept those words coming from his sister. He had turned a little green as Morgana continued to smile at him in a way not appropriate for one so young, I fought to supress an involuntary shudder and failed. Morgana’s eyes snapped instantly to mine filled with contempt and amusement different to that which she had regarded Arthur with.

                “Something the matter, Nimue was it?”

                “No milady I just think my cousin and I ought to be going now.”

                “Yes you ought.” she instructed, I curtsied and turned to leave but she caught Arthur by the arm as he attempted to follow me. “Give it two years or three and we will both be old enough for your babysitter not to shudder so.” Morgana whispered lightly then let go of him laughing and with a flutter of her eyelashes she left along the way she had come.

                “I feel sick.” murmured Arthur one hand grasping his throat.

                Biting my lip I replied, “As do I Arthur, how old does she think she is!”

                “She can’t have honestly meant it, she’s so young!” Arthur stated disgustedly.

                Shrugging I replied, “she did say in two years or more, she was just messing with you attempting to see if she had the womanly control over men that her mother has and has no doubt been teaching her.”

                “Womanly control? My mother?” Arthur asked in shock turning a deeper shade of green.

                “Of course, I have only ever told you the good aspects of their charters Arthur and did not want you thinking badly of them before you had chance to meet and judge them for yourself.”

                “So my mother is like her?” Arthur’s voice held an uncertain note that suggested he did not want the honest answer. I gave it to him anyway.

                “Yes I am afraid she is.” There was more I could have added then but in light of the secrets that still had not been revealed to Arthur I kept my mouth shut.

                He shook his head in shock and confusion, “and to think I thought they were both honest, good women.” I snorted with laughter and he glared at me in irritation. Our next turn took us into one of the main corridors which was full of running servants and courtiers preparing for that nights feast and so the conversation came to an abrupt halt and was not resumed.